I Forge Iron

Any chance at old dock/pier timbers?   Here in the states I would advise used utility poles of treated wood to avoid rotting issues.  Shorter lengths are often available due to truncation by automobiles.  I can ask my local Electrical Coop for them.  There are also treated timbers used to hold guardrails along roads that are sometimes removed.  Probably not a help to you but perhaps to others searching on this issue.  

Of course in much of Europe and the UK I believe they use concrete sleepers (AKA railroad ties) and Utility poles include power poles as well as telephone poles.

Out here I sometimes run into old mine timbers that tend to be large and sometimes treated against rot.  I don't recall Plymouth being known for mining which is why I was suggesting Dock/Pier timbers which I believe may be available in the area....

Leg vises see some serious action and need to be well anchored and stable to be effective, 

If you are going to mount leg vises to them, it would be advisable to sink the log into the floor for stability, ,

A lot depends on how you intend to use them. Some fit in a base socket, whilst others have a foot/plate that you secure to a concrete floor, the top mountings are very varied, 

Whatever you choose, they want to be positioned where you have quick and clear access around them.

Have a good think and consider alternatives before making a decision, 

Thanks for the replies. I would possibly have gone with a length of RSJ or similar attached to a wheel hub but I don't have any welding equipment at the moment. Railway sleepers seem like a good idea i could stack a few together and brace them with a metal band and put some bits of wood at right angles on the base for stability. I will go and check availability. thanks

On 1/23/2016 at 6:43 AM, Joel OF said:

Ring a local tree surgeon?

Uh, you DON'T mean "Ring" him like a tree do you?  :o

Pressure treated, ground contact wood isn't hard to come by. You MIGHT get what you need from a landscaper as a drop but don't count on it. Wood is good but I'll stick to my steel stand.

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, blackleafforge said:

Thanks for the replies. I would possibly have gone with a length of RSJ or similar attached to a wheel hub but I don't have any welding equipment at the moment. Railway sleepers seem like a good idea i could stack a few together and brace them with a metal band and put some bits of wood at right angles on the base for stability. I will go and check availability. thanks

If you need any welding doing, we can arrange to do it at Westpoint on a members day or some other time, contact me if you want to take the opportunity.