I Forge Iron

Passing on to Future Generations

No students or friends in the craft?  No craft programs you could donate it to and feel good?  Last resort is to sell it and hope some hits fertile ground. I would suggest taking it to Quad-State if possible.  Has this question become more time bound?  If so my condolences.  Anything we can do to help?

Greetings Richard, 

I live close to you and know a worthy young man that you should give consideration to.. Just drop me a PM and I will give you his name and info.. He is a true blacksmith and is branching out on his own and is well known in the community..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Has this question become more time bound?  If so my condolences.  Anything we can do to help?

RT I echo Tom's concern. 

I've heard this before in other settings.  I'm semi active in a WWII organization my father was active in and I've set in on a number of conversations about veterans and their memorabilia that they  have no family and in some Sad cases the family  have told them they wanted nothing to do with it.  Very difficult  today as you can't even be sure museums will stay functional or will not sell your items to get money to stay functional.

I have a son who says he is "interested" in my stuff but far too often asks it's value.  Old age seems to make one cynical.   Not a day goes by I don't consider this subject.

Presently I am in the same boat. I never married, nor had kids. None of my relatives seem interested. When my time is getting close I plan on selling off my smithing stuff for what I paid for it, or giving it away to those that I feel can use it best.

Definitely give Jim's offer a consideration.

My Great Uncle Tommy, had chest problems since birth so didn't follow the rest of his brother into the steel industry but became a watchsmith. He never married or had children and spent his retirement with his beloved racing pigeons. He had to pass our house in his way to the pigeon loft twice a day and when he discovered I was entering Engineering, he periodically brought a few of his tools to gift to me. He bequeathed his pigeons to his friend who often looked after them for him when he was too ill to attend to them himself, quite a valuable loft by all accounts.

I've always been of the opinion that he trusted his friend with the birds and me with the tools, and had the pleasure of my face and my thanks and seeing the work I achieved using them. I've used and looked after those tools my whole working life and can't help but remember Tommy when I use them. A grand old Gent.

You may wish to take a leaf out of Great Uncle Tommy's book and pass them on to someone who will cherish them if you can, while you can have the pleasure of doing so.

Neither of my Daughters was interested in smithing; so I'm holding out for granddaughters and grandsons followed by great grand.....

My great grandfather was the smith in a small Arkansas hill town but I don't have a single one of his tools. I hope to avoid the feelings of loss with my descendants. On the other hand I don't want to burden my kids with 4-5 hundred pound anvils just in case one of the grandkids becomes interested some time in the future; so I've been trying to build up my "teaching anvils" stock   appx 100# but currently I'm up to 7 grandkids but not enough small anvils!

I was one of the few hands-on grandchildren that my grandfathers had to pass tools to tho after they passed it was a free for all, unfortunately most others saw dollar signs while I saw tools I would be proud to use. My father isn't hands on and on my mothers side were all daughters also not into tools so it skipped a generation tool-wise.  I'm proud of what I did get and use it.  I was also very proud to get some of their stuff from WWII. 

If I were in that situation I'd look to sell it to people coming up in blacksmithing that would use it. There is the donation rout also as stated above. It's your stuff you do what is in your best interest for it. 

Sometimes knowledge is even better to pass on to people. 

Greetings all . 

At 72 I am I the same boat but have found a soloution. The person that I have selected for Richard I employed and taught for a summer . I spent the evening hours in the blacksmith shop training and passing on what I could . He has been employed with a friend in a true blacksmith shop and will soon be teaching at JC Campbell . He is branching out on his own and I am watching his progress .. I spend 3 days a week at a local vocational school as a mentor and most of the summer teaching black smithing at my studio at no charge for prospective future artist.. That's my way at this time but I will soon pass on some of my equipment as I see fit., If we don't who will.. let's keep the forges going..!  Just this ol boys2c

Lets keep the forges going and make beautiful things

Jim

I am just starting out and will be 72 in April. My son and grandson have no interest in this. I also have a step son in law and a step grandson and a step grandaughter. This part of the family is not allowed near tools, they are dangerous with tools. My son will be tasked with finding someone deserving. And from what I learned on the web there is a studio not too far from me. They could point my son in the right direction. 

HEy guys. At 16 i dont have nearly the same time limit as you do, nor the wisdom and skill, but i have to say the tools my dad is handing down to me are some of the most treasured I have. It's important to keep this great community going, and share your knowledge and skill. That the whole point of this site after all.

On January 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Jim Coke said:

Greetings all . 

At 72 I am I the same boat but have found a soloution. The person that I have selected for Richard I employed and taught for a summer . I spent the evening hours in the blacksmith shop training and passing on what I could . He has been employed with a friend in a true blacksmith shop and will soon be teaching at JC Campbell . He is branching out on his own and I am watching his progress .. I spend 3 days a week at a local vocational school as a mentor and most of the summer teaching black smithing at my studio at no charge for prospective future artist.. That's my way at this time but I will soon pass on some of my equipment as I see fit., If we don't who will.. let's keep the forges going..!  Just this ol boys2c

Lets keep the forges going and make beautiful things

Jim

Jim,

I'm 20 and started blacksmithing this past summer. I have so far acquired an anvil, hand crank blower, and post vise. The forge I built myself out of 2" iron pipe and an old grill. I work outside since I have not invested the time or money in a structure for a shop yet. For Christmas I was able to make a gift for each of my family members and they seemed to really like them. I have found that for me the draw to smithing is not only what you make, it is instead what you COULD make. I feel as though with enough effort and guidance an experienced blacksmith can just about make anything. 

I live in Suttons Bay during summers (rest of the year I'm at college studying Mathematics), and I was wondering if you would be willing to critique me and show me how you go about doing things sometime? Everything I've learned has been from IFI, YouTube videos or I figured out a way myself. It would be really nice to be able to watch someone such as yourself in person and be able to ask questions. I'm a really quick learner, but usually need to ask a lot of questions. 

Thank you you for your time,

Brent J Duddles 

I'm brand new to this, but live in the same town, and even though I've only been smithing for a few months, I've already met a few teenagers who are quite interested in learning.  I know one of them fairly well... single mom who struggles to make ends meet, dad split when he was young, is a drunk, and doesn't have much to do with him at all... not saying he should be considered, but just pointing out that there are kids in Northern Michigan who would love to learn, and probably more than handful who would cherish any equipment they could get their hands on and call their own. XXXX I've been scraping together everything I have, and I cherish each and every piece I own... from my brake drum forge to my  chipped up, craigslist find,  Vulcan anvil. 

Since I'm still so new, I haven't felt like I was in position to show any of them much beyond offering to let them come and watch me bang on some hot metal, but maybe you could take one or two under your wing and let them see some true talent, and learn a few things.  Then, who knows, maybe one of them will be deserving.

please watch your language and read the Tos for this site before posting again.

I just looked back at the OP and wonder if he realizes what we're doing here. Is this site anything but a place for the free exchange of information? Nothing in the history of humanity has done more to pass information to the following generations than the internet. I do have to say though, maybe the net's most beneficial lessons are in how to winnow the chaff from the kernels.

Frosty The Lucky.