I Forge Iron

Winter Forging

I actually took advantage of the coldness of the anvil the other day when it was in the single digits. I was grinding out a hardened knife blank which I'd dogged down to the anvil with a hold-down. The anvil acted as a heat sink and did a nice job of keeping the angle grinder from overheating the blank.

15 hours ago, ausfire said:
15 hours ago, Frosty said:

What if you sit on it and get unstuck? :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

:rolleyes:

Ha Ha. Yes, I guess a super-cold anvil could be just as startling as a hot anvil! The mind boggles.

That should've been CAN'T get unstuck, like licking a metal post on a cold day. Just think what that'd do to your boggles!

Frosty The Lucky.

19 minutes ago, Burnttoast said:

Gunnison Colorado.............minus35 @7am.........not funny, as a 74y/o snowboarder dude once said  "there is no such thing as foul weather, just foul clothing."  Thank you Hamilton Carhartt, i raise my 2 minutes in the cold, cup of coffee to you !!

Truer words were never spoken.

Frosty The Lucky.

Black Frog . .  that's pretty cold. I've seen it -29 here in Central New Yorkistan . . .

I have been doing some forging when it gets out of the teens and it's not too windy . . I move my forge just outside my shed, anvil and vice just inside . . . been  working on squaring round stock and making some wall hooks with a twist. These are about 5" long, made from 5/16 round.

5 inch hooks.jpg

6 hours ago, Forging Carver said:

Well we are in the middle of a blizzard and my forging area is covered with 2ft of snow. I am so glad I put everything under the deck yesterday!

Ugh... I'm gonna have to dig out the backyard this week once we get home from michigan. Got to many goodies out here to not be able to fire it up.

Went out and forged today---had to wear a long sleeve shirt---so I wouldn't sunburn.  High today was 62 deg F.  Took 10' of 1/4" 1020 steel rod, folded it in two and did 3 sets of twists in it and made a "Boss" toasting fork for my Pastor who likes his bonfires *BIG*

Funny thing my airconditioning bills are cheaper out here than back in Columbus OH and my heating bills are averaging about US$100 a year.

6 hours ago, Forging Carver said:

Well we are in the middle of a blizzard and my forging area is covered with 2ft of snow. I am so glad I put everything under the deck yesterday!

FC Remember that the original post said YOU liked to forge in the snow. Careful what you wish for (grin)

2 hours ago, Forging Carver said:

Yeah lol. Well I meant like a small snow storm nothing more than an inch. Blizzards are no fun. You next time I will have to specify :) 

Uh huh, I remember being young and thinking I could wish for things or mention things like that and the fates wouldn't feed me a dose for the affront.

Let me pass along one of the true natural laws of the universes on the chance you haven't heard it. The Non-reciprocating Law " Mention something bad and it will happen immediately. Mention something good and it won't happen."

I've seen it on the list of corollaries to "Murphy's Law" but it's actually the other way around, Murphy just didn't know or didn't believe in the Non-reciprocating law.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, the air temperature got above freezing yesterday (even if the slack tub was still frozen solid), so I got in a little therapeutic forging yesterday evening. Not much to report, other than starting the "what to do with a Fair rail anchor" project and discovering that one of the RR spikes I had kicking around was actually wrought iron. 

I suppose if I'd been bladesmithing, I could have done some BS-ing about "ice-quenched steel"....

Yesterday only got up to 68.9 degF here; picked up a fuel gas regulator at the fleamarket for US$3 in the morning and had two Highschool kids do their S hook and one went on to do a chili from pipe and the other to start (2/3 done) a tripod for camp cooking.  We did have moderate winds so I had to move the forge, anvils and postvise onto the front porch which was on the lee side of the house.(and has a brick floor...)

Very warm today, so my son and I finished the rail anchor project. If anyone's interested, there are pictures here.

(Oh, and while the slack tub was mostly thawed, there was still a big chunk of ice that came in handy for cooling the hot cut!)