I Forge Iron

Is this swage block a good buy

Dustin Quade

Ok so I have been looking for a swage block for some time now and finally i have the money for one to boot. I found this guy selling 4 brand new fresh cast swage blocks and i want to get one but i just want to make sure its not something im going to regret down line like if i had purchased a cast iron anvil or something. He is asking $340 canadian which seems like a good deal to me.

The add reads

These swage blocks are new castings from a good grade of cast iron.
Size: 12-1/4 x 7-1/2 x 3-1/2” thick. 65 lbs

Swage Block Notes: You will have to do some light grinding on the swage block at the parting line. The as-cast edges need to be radius ground as well before use. The amount of grinding and polishing you do is your choice.

$_35.JPG

$_36.JPG

13 hours ago, matto said:

That block would cost $238 here buy doing the conversion. .70 Canadian to $1 us.  $88 shipping seems high but I have no clue. If you want one contact salt forks and get a cone to maybe you could get a better deal

I know that shipping cost might seem crazy but honestly $88 is lower than any quotes I got. UPS quoted $105 USD and the estimate from the blacksmith depot of standard international shipping was $200 USD. I don’t know what the issue is but it seems like when they get to Canada they need to load the cargo onto horse and buggy and hire some guards to fend off all the highway men. Thanks for all of the alternate solutions though.

Shipping is getting ridiculous and I'm sure is effecting the economy, if it is too much I don't order, resume others do as well.

At Christmas a well meaning lady sent us a qt of VT Maple syrup nice of her but she knows my son makes 500 gal a yr. and I don't need more.  Anyways she spent $29.95 for a qt PLUS $20. shipping.  so now at $49.95, I get  a gal from my son for .05c more.  So I repackaged it, marked it books (syrup disappears in a Nano sec. if labeled such) and reshipped to my daughter & Grandkids in MO for another $20.  $70 for a QT of Syrup.  I told her to not share it with anyone who thinks Vermont Maid is good! 

The Swage block from New England Blacksmiths I won one a few years ago works well.  There are a couple places to Pickup if one is coming to New England, one in  Maine and on the VT/MASS Border, maybe NH as well.   Smuggle it back across the border?  See it now 2 yrs for smuggling a swage block!

43 minutes ago, swedefiddle said:

Talk to John Newman in Hamilton, he makes them. No Duty!!

You can pick one up at any OABA meeting, no freight!!  John is a regular on this Forum.

Neil

Thanks for the advice Neil, thats actually not the first time i have heard his name. Im currently waiting for a response from OABA about my application to sign up. In the mean time i have contacted him and hope to hear back soon.

1 hour ago, notownkid said:

Smuggle it back across the border?  See it now 2 yrs for smuggling a swage block!

That's not a swage block, it's additional vehicle ballast to gain traction in the snow and ice. Also doubles as a handy door stop in high wind conditions... :lol:

21 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Talk to John Newman in Hamilton, he makes them. No Duty!!

You can pick one up at any OABA meeting, no freight!!  John is a regular on this Forum.

Neil

You are awesome thanks for that advice, just saved me from a purchase of regret. John is the way to go. Thanks very much.

12 hours ago, matto said:

Dustin great block.  Does the other side have anything? I like the salt forks but that is a great block, might have to get one.

Yep other side has a really big bowl an odd shape and a large flat cup. I also attached an image of the leaf swage stake i got from him while i was there.

20160114_201327.jpg

20160115_073240.jpg