I Forge Iron

Scrap Metal in MD

Hello all!  New to the site and relative newbie to manipulating metal with heat.  I'm in the process of building myself a brake drum forge and am in need of some metal.  I would rather recycle and not buy new if I can.  Is there anyone here that knows of a scrap yard or location that I can come by scrap?  I'm located in Columbia, Md and am willing to travel up to an hour to find a decent sized yard to pick through.  I thank everyone in advance for any help provided and look forward to becoming a member of the blacksmithing community!

Tim

Don't know what type of metal you need because you didn't tell us what you want to make; but for mild steel/A-36 I used to get tons of it from a middle sized ornamental iron place.  The small ones used *everything*, the big ones didn't want the hassle; but a mid sized one was happy to give me all I could haul as they were having to pay to get it hauled to the scrapyard back then.  I made some trinkets for the office staff from their largess and always left the scrap bin neater than when I arrived; worked during their lunch period so didn't interfere with production; wore PPE, etc.

Sometimes I would even get real wrought iron from them when they were replacing a 100 year old fence a car had totaled...

Glenn, I too came up with the same results.  Sorry if I came across as lazy and didn't do my legwork.  I'll be making some calls in the morning.  The purpose of my pose was to hopefully weed out many of those results and find a couple places that others like.  I was also hoping to find a few people in my area that might be able to help expand my knowledge and metalworking abilities.

Bob, thanks for the suggestion.  I hadn't even thought to contact a fab shop.  

Thomas, sorry for not specifying.  Yes, mild steel is what I'm looking for, along with bits and pieces that I can use to construct the forge.  Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually go to  Boulevard Sales , about half the price of buying from welding/fabrication shops because they are one of those places that the welding shops purchase their steel. It's close to you and they will cut for a fee.

Boulevard Sales Corp

Structural Steel Supplier

7205 Washington Blvd

Elkridge, MD 21075

410-796-9370

M-F 7:30 – 4

Sat 7:30 - noon

2 hours ago, David Einhorn said:

I usually go to  Boulevard Sales , about half the price of buying from welding/fabrication shops because they are one of those places that the welding shops purchase their steel. It's close to you and they will cut for a fee.

Boulevard Sales Corp

Structural Steel Supplier

7205 Washington Blvd

Elkridge, MD 21075

410-796-9370

M-F 7:30 – 4

Sat 7:30 - noon

Me too! Sadly, last time I went- about a month ago they were just closing the door for good. Literally just as I got there. 

So I'll be looking also.

Posners Industries in Frederick, off of English Muffin Way is my stop for new stock. Its not too expensive, and they have most of anything that I need. They will cut the 20' sections in half for free, no matter how much. 

I'm not too far from you, just up the road a bit.