I Forge Iron

Just a box of dirt, or a simple side blast forge

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After firing it up for a couple hours this afternoon, I'll likely be creating more of a trench for the fire pot while also raising my tuyere by a bit. The current size of the fire pot didn't allow for easy ash clean out. By the time I got the mound of charcoal high enough and hot enough to heat the middle section of my rod, the ash tended to have built up enough to impede the airflow. So, a trench and slightly raised tuyere (I realized it was more toward the bottom than it should have been) should help with those issues. As you said, Charles, dirt is cheap, so experimenting is nice. Also, the firebricks already came in handy today to concentrate the coals. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I used to have to worry about that---back when we first got married my wife ran the front office for a private psychiatric hospital and had a half dozen Drs that would sign any paper she put in front of them and said "sign here".   Well it only took 3 Drs to commit you against your will...We were offered a room for our honeymoon---as long as my wife could continue working during the day...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man I thought I had a picture of my camp forge but my first forge was a trench dug in the ground for tuyre with a metal fence pole in it underneath (used cardboard to fan air through) a fire pit shaped of a eye balled mixture of clay sand and tiny broken pieces of wild sage kinda like adobe to form walls. Lol worked if I can I'll get a picture next time we drive up to Pueblo if its still there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the anvil set on a low stump for use beside my fire pit atm. I make myself lightheaded blowing through an old-ish gas pipe to get the fire hot and then hammer away so sitting by the fire isn't a big deal to me.. I just want to create a more formalized forge rather than using my fire pit

HOT metal moves a whole lot easier, and with less effort. The metal does not care how it gets hot, just that it needs to be hot in order to cooperate with the hammer.

The different forge styles and modifications are just details to make YOUR life easier.

My very first forge (an old gallon-size juice can lined with clay -- a JACOD? -- that never once got up to forging temperature) used a blow pipe. 

Let's just say I abandoned that method the first time I got out of sync with myself and sucked on the pipe rather than blew....