I Forge Iron

What are some good Beginner items?

As im sure you guys know, Christmas is coming up. My family is pressuring me for a list, and i am drawing a blank. So i thought i might as well get your guys opinions on what are some good tools a blacksmith that is just starting out could get. I have a 3# cross pein, and some other hammers. I have a big chunk of steel for an anvil, and I have a forge. Im lacking in steel, but cant found any real manufacturers around me unfortunately. I do need some tongs, anyone have any ideas on where to get them? Really what im asking is what are some good tools to start out black smithing with? Thanks!

A 2 pound cross pein hammer is a better choice for a beginner.

Run the alleys for steel. People throw away all kings of things made of metal. Reuse the metal. The best place to go for metal is where they use metal and throw sway the scrap. Machine shops, garages, construction sites, etc.

With the hammer and anvil you can make the tools you need. Books would be a better choice as they will return the investment many times over. Go to the Book section of IForgeIron for ideas.

Yarde Steel In Bristol CT is a super source for new steel, do they have odds and ends????  A Gift certificate would be easiest for family  members to give.  Check auto repair shops in your area for pickup truck tie rod ends esp. Ford 4 x 4 make good tool stock.  Tongs are available new from assorted places look on the net for Blacksmith tools many advertise on IFI.  Most of my tongs have come from flea markets, yard sales, antique store or auctions, never have paid much.  It takes time to accumulate everything you need or want for a shop.   

I've told my family to not get me tools for Christmas or birthdays. I tend to have very specific needs, and don't want to have to ask for something like that, of someone who has no idea what I'm asking for. My wife tried, got something from e bay that was listed as a blacksmith tool and wasn't. It was still a nice gift, but didn't fit my needs. Like Glenn said, books are great- there's a lot of good stuff out there and I never get tired of reading them. How about a gift cert for a weekend of lessons? Membership in the local group? You could ask for a bag of coal or a tank of propane. If you know of something specific you need, give  the details or item number. I used to circle in crayon what I wanted from the Sears catalog. I still think books are best.

Steve

Books, books, books....

The complete modern blacksmith by Alexander Weygers is a good starter. That book shows you how to get started on a budget, how to make tools, and good scrap to get. 

All you need is a fire, a hammer, and an anvil which you said you have. Now you need the knowledge to know how to use them.

You don't need tongs if the stock is long enough to just hold with your hands. Vice-Grips also work fine. 

Fuel for your forge.

Besides books, some PPE is good to have. Good safety glasses, ear plugs, left hand gloves if you are right handed or vice versa, maybe a shop apron or leather one if you like to use one, tinted safety glasses for forge use,and a first aid kit with some burn goodies in it.

A years membership to ABANA

Some I Forge Iron goodies like tee shirts....sold right here, and help support the site.

Do you have a community college with a blacksmithing program? That is where my Dad and I got started. A years tuition for night courses in smithing,or welding, can get you access to nice tools, material, and the knowledge to make a lot of what you need to get started at a lower cost. Our class got scrap from Kaiser Steel in Napa CA, and they resold it for 10¢ a pound. Lots of heavy plate, and pipe to make bases for tools, tables, etc..

Knowledge is what a beginner needs first so that they know what they need in the future,so they know how to make it, or know to make an informed purchase.

Safety equipment is a good idea, a nice leather apron or something.

How about items like raw beeswax for finishing, or maybe some Mountain Flux to help with your welding. (When you're ready for it!)

The idea of a membership is also a good idea.

Proper PPE BEFORE you enter a shop with work being done. NO exceptions, not in my shop.

Good safety glasses are top of the list, Uvex makes good wrap arounds sometimes called "bug eyes." What you want is something that closes off the gap above your eyes so nothing can fall in. Close to your cheek is important too, you wouldn't believe how debris WILL bounce off your cheek then the inside of the glasses and into your eye. Seriously, no joke. Close and tight on all sides is best I actually like the safety goggles that close off the eyes completely and are held on with an elastic strap. The downside is they really scratch up easily and visibility can suffer quickly.

Leather shoes and keep your pants legs over the tops so HOT stuff doesn't fall in with your feet. Laces aren't so desirable as hot stuff can get caught in them. No synthetics!

Gloves are a sometimes thing usually on your tong hand and the main reason I keep water in a big old pot near the forge. Over heated leather shrinks and can trap your hand and bur the crap out of you. Literally bake you like a potato. If you feel your glove shrinking on your hand it goes directly into the water bucket. You do NOT have time to wait to feel the heat, by then your hand is trapped and it's going to get hotter. Hit the slack tub. Same if something hot goes into a shoe just step into the water and be quick about it.

Keep aloe vera in the shop for burns, I have a pump bottle, a plant would be a succulentcicle right now. Cool the burn and apply aloe. This is for mild burns, mostly 1st. degree, second degree can be another issue and may require medical attention. 3rd. and worse is a hit the doc in the box or even the emergency room soonest. Silvadine is a great burn med but isn't the most available and by time you need it you're pushing see the doc territory.

A basic 1st. aid kit and some basic training is a really GOOD idea and not JUST in the shop, you never know when YOU are the first responder and lives may count on you. Even a Red Cross 1st. aid 1 class is a hugely good idea. You ain't going to do surgery or set bones but you might need to know how to control bleeding or stabilize broken bones or dislocations. Just knowing how to keep a person's neck stable can save a life or permanent disability. A guy could slip or trip on the sidewalk out front and need help soonest or perhaps the blade breaks on your lawn mower and opens someone's leg. This stuff happens being prepared isn't just for Boy Scouts.

Frosty The Lucky.

I keep it close but not so close stuff falls into it. Accidentally quenching high carbon steel can ruin it. The main thing I use water for (knock on WOOD!) is keeping the held end of stock cool to the touch and keeping from over heating my tongs.

Frosty The Lucky.