I Forge Iron

Checking what I am reading/watching again

natenaaron

I've been reading a lot and watching videos about this subject but something is mentioned every once in a while but never followed up on.  On a blade making forum, don't remember which one, someone asked this question and it was not answered.

Does making coin Mokume, or Mokume in general mess up your forge?  If it does mess it up, how?  I figure if it did there would be some solid info out there about it.  I've been looking and can't find anything definitive.  Thought I would ask.

I am speaking solely from the position on gas forges. no experience with solid fuel. 

the only way it messes things up is if you end up with a puddle of liquid metal in it. 

there are many people that want to claim that doing certain things poisons your forge for other things. it is mostly malarky. I think it is mostly used as an excuse for not being proficient in what is being done. 

I forge Iron, Copper, Brass, Steel, Monel, Aluminum and Silver all in the same forge that I make Mokume in and Forge weld steel.  

30 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Well you can have copper creep in along the grain boundaries resulting in the steel cracking.  I like to put in a pan of cheap clay cat litter when working other metals so any mistakes don't linger to haunt me...

that is interesting thomas, thanks for the info. I have never had that issue before.