I Forge Iron

First Anvil

Without a picture it hard to say, your problems posting are the same as others here at the moment.  Ocala being Horse Country, cattle at one time one would think there should be some around there.  It depends on how much you want one, how much the wife will part with, and how much he wants to take for it.  If $800 is too much and it certainly may be offer what you are willing to pay, give him your number and walk away and forget about it, see what he does.  Just like buying a used car.  I sold 1,000 of them.  No other buyers will get you remembered.

From my perception of prices in the states, $800 is a bit pricy relative to market price.

But if it's a Hay Budden in mint condition, it may well be worth it to you. On the other hand, if it's got a huge crack, it probably isn't worth more than $100.

But, as previously mentioned, if you can afford it and to you it's worth it, go for it.

The average today in the USA is around $3 a pound for one in good condition. BUT, that doesn't matter if you cannot afford that, what matters is what you can afford to pay. Make a cash offer, and walk if you get turned down.

For $800 I could put together a really nice set up made up of a scrap steel anvil that would be much bigger (scrap reselling around here for 25 cents a pound), a home built forge of any type, and a bunch of tools. Seriously look at what you are spending on one item, and ask yourself - can it be better spent?

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

The average today in the USA is around $3 a pound for one in good condition. BUT, that doesn't matter if you cannot afford that, what matters is what you can afford to pay. Make a cash offer, and walk if you get turned down.

For $800 I could put together a really nice set up made up of a scrap steel anvil that would be much bigger (scrap reselling around here for 25 cents a pound), a home built forge of any type, and a bunch of tools. Seriously look at what you are spending on one item, and ask yourself - can it be better spent?

I have been thinking of a forge as the first thing to start with, I can fab one up and getting metal is no big deal. I do need a Heat..

I was over at my steel supplier the other day to buy some steel tube to fix a hand rail. I noticed next to his big saw he had a chunk of steel 4" x 8", so I asked what a 16" length of that would run out of curiosity. Weight was right about 150 lbs for a block that size and he said it would run some where around $270 or so, a bit less than $3 a pound is what I remember. I'm not sure if it was an alloy steel like 4140 or if it was just a low carbon steel like 1018.

No horn, but I was thinking it would make a decent starter anvil for someone who can't find a London pattern anvil.

It appears to be in good condition but that would be a pretty high in price even up here in AK. Check with any local machine shops to see if they have any left over pieces of large steel, forklift repair shops for an old tine. Leave the seller your number and a fair price you are willing to pay, maybe after some time he will call you. Often the most powerful bargaining tool is to walk away and have patience.

Considering that it appears to be in "as new" condition, I wouldn't say the price was completely unreasonable.  If you were to buy a new anvil, you'll have to pay far more than $800.  

Would I pay that much for it?  Nope.  I don't like anvils that have a narrow waist and thin heel.  I understand you have to go with what's available, but I'd rather spend the money on a big ol' chunk of mild.

As others have said its really up to you. That is a very nice anvil and even tho the price is high I've seen good anvils go for more. Yesterday a kohlswa anvil 165 lb sold for $1000

on Ebay and was not in nearly as nice shape as the one you are looking at. I have passed up some excellent anvils for prices I thought were too high and now I regret it.

If i was you. Id look around for another anvil. Notown is spot on. don't spend lots on what you can get cheaper. I was living on an island and managed to pick up a 300lb one for £100. The anvil looks in great condition and I'll presume it rings well. But do you really wanna spend that amount of cash on 1 tool? From the picture I see horse shoes so there must be horses around the area. Which means there will be retired farriers and other blacksmiths. They might be able to help you find a cheaper one. Also do you need an anvil as heavy as that? if so then maybe look on craigslist or ebay for ones near you that are cheaper.

22 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Anvils don't have to sit level. Is it a problem where it rocks or wables on you or just the face isn't level? 

It rocks..

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Of course it sits level; just not on that flat and level surface.  Inlet your stump to hold it as you like it!   

That's the plan.