I Forge Iron

Coal forge build

JeepinJoe

I started building a forge about a month ago and I'm at the point I can use it.  Since I will be using it outside I put it on wheels so I can move it in and out of the garage. Future plans are to build a side draft flue for it and maybe someday a shop. Here is a few photo's. image.thumb.jpeg.e977b49c41af6466f96db29image.thumb.jpeg.b2c08a9a9db411ebe095a8aimage.thumb.jpeg.142bb252b15413cb3d4e223image.thumb.jpeg.4d845ffa6ed1eced4ef0e56

Nice looking forge!  Looks to be well built.  Yes, you WILL appreciate a hood & flue.  Nice large table.  One suggestion is that you add another cut-out on the other side from the current one for long pieces.  If you want to block it off afterwards to keep your coal from spilling out, you can make a slide-on piece to cover the hole (or both holes for that matter with another one).  If you need to move it around outside on gravel or dirt, you might need larger wheels.

Happy forging! :)

Edited by arkie

I tried to clay the cast iron fire pot and when it dried it cracked and flaked off.  I used some pottery clay and mixed some sand in.  I tried two different mixtures.  The first one I mixed with sand and made it kind of dry.  That mixture I could not get to stick to the cast iron.  I tried pounding it on with a piece of wood and hammer and it would not stick.  The second mix I used less sand so it was wetter.  It stuck to the cast iron and I was able to put on a nice layer all over the pot however, when it dried it cracked and flaked off.  So my question is should I just use it without the clay?

Make the hole in the plate fit the fire pot as tight as possible so it's harder for stuff to get around it and fall on the floor. Then forget about making it look all smooth and pretty with clay. Any small gaps will fill with ash ect. and it will work just fine. When I built mine I was doin the same as you trying to cement the gaps but when you really start using it and you pile on a bunch of coal and run a couple of fires you will see that you wasted time trying clay it. Fire that thing up and get pounding :-)

• 2 weeks later...