I Forge Iron

anyone doing this with their kids?

I have a 10 year old and a 13 year old. If they are at the shop and the plasma cutter is out the 13 year old wants to use it. They both are careful around the welder but have not used it yet, and they love driving the forklift (so do I).  I was thinking this might be a fun journey to embark on with them.

Any one do this with their kids?

You are kidding right?  A 10 & 13 yr old driving a forklift, come on here.  I've seen trained and certified forklift operators killed and terrible injured with them.  Let them grow up before exposing them to Plasma cutters and welders.  If they get hurt the child services will be all over you like a rash.  I saw a 13 yr old who was killed by a farm tractor he had no business operating but his father thought it was ok it was not a sight I will ever forget.

stupid disappearing text again...

I'd disagree about plasma cutters and welders. I know plenty of guys who have taught their kids to use these at an even earlier age with supervision. Boy scouts allows kids to work on their welding merit badge at those ages. I think I was 11 when I started welding in shop class as well as working with power tools like the bandsaw and table saw ( though we needed to ask permission any time we wanted to use the table saw). A plasma cutter or mig welder is a lot safer to use than a power saw or OA torch I was using in shop class.

Forklift, I'd have to know the circumstances of it's "use". I could certainly see them driving it from A to B around the parking lot no problem. I'd probably have issues with them lifting objects with weight, or racking items. I know I was envious of my one neighbor who was able to drive a truck on the family farm at 11 or so. Granted it was usually driving in a straight line following the tractor, or moving the truck across the field to the barn so that someone else could unload it.

I think a lot of this depends greatly on how kids are brought up and how mature they are. I know Jr's and Sr's  at the tech school I wouldn't trust with power tools unsupervised. On the other hand I know a number of kids I'd have no problem letting them use tools at a much younger age if I watched them. Sadly not as many kids are brought up the way I was and learned to respect tools and understand how dangerous they can be if you are fooling around. Same goes with knives, axes, archery gear or BB or pellet guns. All stuff I was using at that age.

Edited by DSW

The forklift is something you need to make sure they know what NOT to do, they can get you easy.

Welding and plasma cutter? PPE and why not?

I was spinning metal at 10 and spinning some exotics at 14. I grew up in Dad's spinning shop and shed plenty of blood learning to keep my eyes open and my attention on everything. I was making 8" groups with my 8mm German Mauser and iron sights at 12, started shooting at 8.

Kids will live up to your expectations. Expect them to be some sensitive delicate flower that can't take criticism and that's what you'll get. Expect kids to think for themselves, ask intelligent questions, ask for help when they need it and that's what you'll get.

You have to make sure dangerous tools are NOT toys and not to be treated like toys. Being exiled from the shop really helped get my head straight. Not perfect of course I was a kid but I learned to be careful when I played and not tear the tools and equipment up. I did most of Dad's welding, I was better at it.

Of course that's just my opinion, I think kids are as smart as adults, their libraries are just sparse. Good guidance, responsibility and opportunity will take them far.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was driving Farm Tractors at age 6.

And had my Nephew driving a Forklift, ... in an empty Warehouse, ... before he was 5.

( He has Cerebral Palsy now, and is confined to a wheelchair, ... and I'm xxxxxx glad to have given Him some "Real World" experiences, before that happened. )

It all depends on the Kid.

If you treat a Child like a fool, ... He'll sure act like a fool, ... but it doesn't have to be that way.

By far, the most dangerous Forklift Operator I've ever seen, was in his 20's .....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's Children DESPERATELY need exposure to REALITY.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here in SE Pennsylvania, we have "Old Order" Amish and Mennonite Families, ... whose Children are routinely exposed to all manner of "Work Environments".

Over a period of 20 years, I employed dozens of those Children in Food Vending Operations, in some of the local Farmers Markets.

They make the best possible Employees, ... and require little supervision.

Safety is the first caution. 

A generation ago, any farm kid was expected to work like a man along side the men in the field and on the farm. They earned the respect of the men and only then were they allowed to be around and operate the equipment. The kid would take care of the farm animals before going to school, and take care of the farm after school.

Today you have to trust the kid. Do you let them cut the grass using a walk behind lawn mower, and later drive the riding lawn mower?  The kid will live up to your expectations if you let them. They are not perfect and will make mistakes and that is why you stand looking over their shoulder.

Do you let them play in the fire and hit hot metal on the anvil? Can they now be trusted with working at the forge?  Do they put on full PPE before they start? Do you? They will follow YOUR example and instructions.

The kid can do most anything he sets his mind to do. You have to teach him the proper way, the safe way, and to stop before he gets into trouble. Each kid is different. Treat them as an individual. If the kid can be trusted, close the doors to the shop (to keep the nosey neighbors out) and be a parent. Spend some one-on-one time teaching them how to use tools and learning the skills they can use in life. 

Edited by Glenn

As an Adult Ed tutor I also worked for the Families Education Department, where we would put fun practical courses on for parent and child, thus bringing parent back into education and reinforcing the child's education. Getting the child's attention and interest is 90% of the job, once entrapped it's full steam ahead! You already have the children interested, you just need to set the good working example and keep a watchful eye on proceedings, as you would any child regardless of the activity. In every class, I was involved with, every child exceeded expectations, regardless of age, build, health or any impairment they had to cope with.....and some of the parents did quite well too!

As long as you keep them safe, which is a parents primary role anyway, why not!

Edited by Smoggy

I know the chalenges of  ceribral palsy all to well, my oldest daughter was born 3 months premeture, and had a CVA (stroke) at 3 days old. She is in colledge, lives on he own, and sidesaddle is any mans equal on a horse. 

All I ask is you make every efort to raise your children to be peaple I would be proud to share this earth with.

First knife, age 6. First shooting, age 8. With bullets instead of bbs, age 10. Driving at 11, and driving a forklift regular at 13. And I turned at real good. :P

I believe in protecting them, but letting them make mistakes to a point. For example, I sent my oldest boy back in the house to change about 5 times when he'd come out to forge in shorts and tennis shoes. The next time, we had a day that required a lot of hole punching. For some reason, he went back in the house and changed all by himself...while I refilled the quench bucket.

i don't agree with" young" children driving fork lifts, tractors. etc .

You are kidding right?  A 10 & 13 yr old driving a forklift, come on here.  I've seen trained and certified forklift operators killed and terrible injured with them.  Let them grow up before exposing them to Plasma cutters and welders.  If they get hurt the child services will be all over you like a rash.  I saw a 13 yr old who was killed by a farm tractor he had no business operating but his father thought it was ok it was not a sight I will ever forget.

I totally agree .People in the past fought hard to give children the right to a childhood 

Take kids on an individual basis. You don't want to work them to death, but a kid that's overprotected, and who's not taught to work, will become an adult that doesn't know how to work. How many adults have you run into that can't cook for themselves? Change a tire, much less fix their car? Use a drill or swing a hammer? Have no work discipline?

Besides.....we begged to drive the forklift, swing an axe, use the oxy/acetylene, etc. We loved doing that kind of thing in my dad's shop, and it beat the heck out of "kid appropriate chores" like mowing the grass, weeding the garden, cleaning the bathroom, that kind of thing. Some of the funnest stuff we did as kids.

I went to shop class and used planers, routers, power saws, sanders, and molded hot plastic at 12. I've got a 12 year old now that doesn't know a saw from a sander. Heck, I think they oughta have shop classes for adults these days.

My sons are all grown now and starting their own families - but I let mine into the shop and I taught them to drive tractors at a young age.  Like anything, much of it boils down to training and common sense.  As has been said, much depends on the individual - I was an only child raised around a bunch of adults so I had a pocket knife at 6 and started shooting a .22 shortly thereafter (under supervision); I was hunting rabbits and squirrels alone by age 10 and bringing them home for supper.  I never killed anyone or had an accident...

All of what we do is better than video games and sitting in front of the TV - and spending time with your children is priceless.

The young one drives the forklift around the boat storage yard.  Still a little heavy on the gas so he is practicing with nothing on the forks.  Oldest moves the dumpster, light pallets, parks it, but nothing too heavy.  He is still a little quick on the lift.  I would rather teach my kids to be responsible workers now before they get a little older, know everything, don't listen and get hurt or hurt someone.

I didn't think this would cause such a stir.  There is something about a forklift that makes something stir inside of most men.  Some women too.  My hands were full with a job one day, needed the forklift moved into position and asked someone who is many years my senior if he would mind moving the forklift.  He took the 2 acre tour to move the forklift 20 feet where I needed it.  Giant poop eating grin on his face the whole time.

If the boys want to hammer on some metal with me, I will let them.

Edited by natenaaron

Yeah, my kids are with me in the shop constantly.. both the 16 year old son and the 7mos old daughter - she tags along when it's a leather bench day and is fascinated watching me work with my hands. As for the forklift.. well, I'm also from Amish country, and I'll tell ya, I know a 10 year old Amish girl that can outmanuver any certified union equipment operator. That girl can park a full 21000lb tobacco wagon within half an inch of where she's told in half the time I've seen other people doing it. It's nothing to see a child driving a quarter million (or far more) dollar farm rig down the roads here - so I really think it's all about how you rear them and the responsibility you instill.

J

I think some of this has to do with "training them up"   not throwing them in cold on a possibly dangerous tool and forklifts, tractors, farm trucks are "tools".  I used to spend summers with my grandfather and would help him out on his minnow farm; only later did I find out that I was holding down my end of a 3 man seine with only Grandad on the other end while I was in single digits...

The swordmaker I worked with allowed his kids in the shop when unpowered work was being done but even the 4 year old knew that as soon as a power tool went on he had to leave---without being told.

When I brought a forge up for thanksgiving with my SiLs; I also brought some miniature anvils 2-4 oz ballpeens and heavy gauge no lead solder so the kids could forge on their side of the boundary while I showed their dad's a thing or two.

I was hunting and fishing on my own by the time i was 9. As far back as I can remeber I was in the shop with my dad making repairs for people. Gloves way too big, hood wouldn't adjust small enough and my dad helping me hold the stinger, balancing  the hood and keep gloves on my hand while running 6011's. Heck, half the time I couldn't even see the puddle. I guess the angle grinders were the tools he had the most reservations about till i was strong enough to handle them... maybe 15 or so. I could run the o/a rig but wasn't allowed to adjuste the regulators.

Life is different now with my kids because those type activities are not daily activities and they are not normal daily life like they were for me. I do encourage them to hang out when piddled with those things and the auto darkening shields make it pretty cool for the kids. If I used these things for my day job and odd and end weekend money like my dad did I would have my kids working on that stuff with me as much as I could.

Scott

Funny what Parents perceive as "dangerous".

I ran Farm Machinery, drove Cars, Pick-ups and big "Straight" Trucks, Jumped Horses and had free access to the Gun Cabinet, ... before I was 10, ... but had to wait until I was 18, to buy my first Motorcycle. :angry:

Mom and Dad thought they were too dangerous .....

Speaking as someone who has spent 40 years of weekends & summers and taught 11-17 year olds: blacksmithing, rifle & shotgun shooting, climbing, rapelling, whitewater kayaking, gas stove use, wilderness survival, etc., there is nothing that can not be done and taught safely.  (*)The Boy Scouts DO have a list of the things that youth under 18 are not allowed to do, and I disagree with some of them (power tools, alcohol stoves).

Speaking as someone who teaches 18-65 year olds welding related shop skills for a living, there is nothing that can't be done wrong (and scary!) with ignorance and a cavalier attitude towards safety.

(*) 2 spaces 4 America!

Edited by John McPherson