I Forge Iron

Made my first Hardy Tool! w00t!

I think I am still the n00b here ;)

I have been making and selling a few crosses using some 6" and 7" forged nails I got a while back. A couple of the nails were severely distressed (pitted) so I used them for my first effort. After final burnishing with a wire wheel and application of bees wax I liked the look so much I needed a way to mimic that pitted look on nails that were not distressed. That was when I came upon a post (I think it was here) that was just the ticket.

I took two pieces of 1x2 mild steel bar and splatter-crappy-welded one face on each with my MIG welder w/o gas . . this was easy because no one has ever accused me of being a welder . . :)

Then I welded some 2" or so pieces of rod to help keep the top piece in the neighborhood while beating on it . . The square for the Hardy Hole was made out of a piece of round stock I had laying around, I this it was a shaft because it definitely was tough . . put a square taper on it then pounded it into the hardy then welded to the bar stock.

Took me about 2 hours.

1st Hardy Tool 1.jpg

1st Hardy Tool 2.jpg

Pierced nail cross 1.jpg

DS Cross 1.jpg

Edited by John Galt

Well done John, nice texturing die. Next time weld the shank to one end so the die is over the center of the anvil. The increased depth of rebound will make it more efficient and quieter eve.

The crucifix and star of David had me wondering too but if that's what the customer wants it's just right.

What I made for a texture texture die for split crosses started life as a garage sale ball pein hammer head in the 10-12 oz. range. I got it HOT and repeatedly rapped it on my hot hardy.

The face had a nice crown to it and my hardy is curved so no strike marked the hammer face all the way across. I'd rap it a few times, tilt it the other way and rap it some more. I rehandled it after I was tired of heating and tapping the thing and it does a nice job of putting a wood grain like texture on steel.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just in time for the Millennial Kingdom! These will sell like hotcakes!!   Very nice, I love em! 

Not sure I understand the combination of the Xtian cross with the Hebrew Star of David.  

Jesus is the (a) son of David, and the promised one to sit on David's Throne forever. It's a Christian doctrine but a very appropriate symbol.

"Well done John, nice texturing die. Next time weld the shank to one end so the die is over the center of the anvil. The increased depth of rebound will make it more efficient and quieter even."

Thank you for that good advice Frosty. I think I will modify it as such!! :) I will also weld a handle to the top die, those pins don't do much to keep it in the neighborhood . . . . My PW anvil has awesome rebound . .

146 lbs picked it up locally for $300 ;)

Just in time for the Millennial Kingdom! These will sell like hotcakes!!   Very nice, I love em! 

Jesus is the (a) son of David, and the promised one to sit on David's Throne forever. It's a Christian doctrine but a very appropriate symbol.

I like the way you think Shamus :)