I Forge Iron

Ivory handled Dagger

cliffrat

Here's a knife I took to the ICCE show in September. While there, I had Eric Eggly shoot a couple of pics. (his on bottom, mine on top)

Damascus Dagger Specs:

10.75 inch blade, 16 inches OAL 1095 and 15N20 Damascus

Mammoth Ivory handle scales. Guard and frame main body are 416 SS. Liners are silicon bronze. Seppa is silicon bronze. Spacer package is 50/50 Shibuichi (copper and fine silver) with red bronze center spacer (Baldwin's patina) and silicon bronze thin separators. The ball finial and washer are 50/50 Shibuichi

All the Mokume, red bronze, and Shibuichi is made in my shop by me.

DSCN0497.JPG

Dagger handle.JPG

Full Size.jpg

Edited by cliffrat
forgot something

Beautiful work as always Cliff. I'd have to hold it and see how the handle fit my hand before passing final judgement for my desire level. I have this thing for wanting any tool to have good utility but that's MY thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Librarian: The blade is made from 9 separate twisted bars. 5 are 50 layers twisted clockwise, 4 are 25 layers twisted counter-clockwise. Each is about 5/8" square. Stack the bars in a 3x3 square with alternating twists so that looking at the end grain you see a checkerboard of left/right twists. Forge weld together, re-square and flatten into a rectangular bar about 1/2 inch square by 1-1/4 inch wide. Accordion cut and flatten again. Forge and shape as desired. As for "how far I still have to go as a smith", I strongly suggest finding a mentor hat you can visit and watch, ask questions, bring your work to critique or guidance for how to do the next step, etc. Becoming and ABS apprentice flattened out my learning curve substantially over the last year.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Frosty, it too bad we live so far apart. Maybe I'll get up your way someday and we can hang out. Maybe even invite that Teeny Little Metal Guy over for a cup of coffee too!

Thanks for that information! I have a general idea of how you did that by the description, and I still stand by my comment about gorgeous!

I'm currently looking at moving (two interviews lined up), so if things pan out well, I'm hoping to start working with smiths more often than I have (second shift with weekend hours). Thanks for the advice, though!

I'd dearly love to Cliff, who knows we may make it down that way. Deb can visit spinners, dog trainers and who knows who else and I'll meet up with blacksmiths at coffee shops and hammer ins. That was actually my retirement plan but life happens.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd dearly love to Cliff, who knows we may make it down that way. Deb can visit spinners, dog trainers and who knows who else and I'll meet up with blacksmiths at coffee shops and hammer ins. That was actually my retirement plan but life happens.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just remember I smith and my wife spins---one stop shopping!  (She just got back from the Taos wool festival)  Also the week before Quad-State is usually the Wool Gathering at Young's Dairy near Yellow Springs OH.  When we drive out we usually plan to hit both and see the kids in between.

Edited by ThomasPowers

Librarian: The blade is made from 9 separate twisted bars. 5 are 50 layers twisted clockwise, 4 are 25 layers twisted counter-clockwise. Each is about 5/8" square. Stack the bars in a 3x3 square with alternating twists so that looking at the end grain you see a checkerboard of left/right twists. Forge weld together, re-square and flatten into a rectangular bar about 1/2 inch square by 1-1/4 inch wide. Accordion cut and flatten again. Forge and shape as desired. As for "how far I still have to go as a smith", I strongly suggest finding a mentor hat you can visit and watch, ask questions, bring your work to critique or guidance for how to do the next step, etc. Becoming and ABS apprentice flattened out my learning curve substantially over the last year.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Frosty, it too bad we live so far apart. Maybe I'll get up your way someday and we can hang out. Maybe even invite that Teeny Little Metal Guy over for a cup of coffee too!

heck if you make it up we will throw a forge party and light a fire to cook that coffee on. Fantastic knife by the way.

Thanks for that information! I have a general idea of how you did that by the description, and I still stand by my comment about gorgeous!

I'm currently looking at moving (two interviews lined up), so if things pan out well, I'm hoping to start working with smiths more often than I have (second shift with weekend hours). Thanks for the advice, though!

I did the second shift weekend schedule for three years too. I found full time smiths that I could hang with on Monday or Tuesday.

New Jersey Blacksmith's association: http://www.njblacksmiths.org/of.htm

Looks like they have open forge night on Monday nights at 7 PM. http://www.njblacksmiths.org/of.htm

Just remember I smith and my wife spins---one stop shopping!  (She just got back from the Taos wool festival)  Also the week before Quad-State is usually the Wool Gathering at Young's Dairy near Yellow Springs OH.  When we drive out we usually plan to hit both and see the kids in between.

Oh yeah, I may not remember details like conference dates but if we ever do a US tour you can bet we'll be letting everybody know. Deb thinks I came up with, "steel wool couple," I don't have to tell you where I heard it do I?

I have quite a list of folk I'd like to meet face to face and you're top of the list. the top of my list is kind of crowded though I'm no good at making favorites decisions.

Frosty The Lucky.