I Forge Iron

What is your personal "Where has THIS THING been all my life?!" tool?

I was at the Alabama Forge Council meeting a couple weeks ago and Gordon Williams was doing the demonstrations - learned a LOT, took pictures of several of his homemade tools and jigs and such, but of all simple things I was most taken with his very basic, simple design for a hold fast, which I attempted to replicate this weekend.  I've been working about a year and a half without one but watching him use one so much in his demo's renewed my desire.  So I forged one this weekend, and low and behold it not only WORKS it works SPECTACULARLY.  This is literally one of those, "OMG, where has this thing BEEN all my life?!"   Something you really don't realize how useful it is until you have it, and then you wonder how in the world you accomplished ANYTHING prior to it's arrival. 

So.... what's YOUR "WHTTBAML" tool?   What's the thing that you finally made or got that had such a profound impact on your work that you wondered how (and maybe why!) you ever got by without one?  

Tractor with front end loader, or maybe zero turn mower.

Oh, blacksmithing related. Leg vise.

Actually kinda funny because the tractor and front end loader was the first thing I thought of...before reading your post.  I'd be S.O.L. without it and was hesitant to throw the money at it in the first place.  

Metalworking related I'd have to say a decent wire-feed welder.  Good welder vs cheap welder is like night and day difference and is a pleasure to use.

Beyond the usual blacksmithing tools, the go to tool is the electric welder. With it you can make all manner of other tools, tables, and things The list just goes on and on.

Ox/Ac is a good second choice because it can cut, heat, weld, etc etc, all in one unit.

The power tool whatever makes it go.

I do have to agree with Spanky though. Gordon was up doing clinics here summer before and I've converted all my hold fasts to his design. WAY better than the old style I used.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

I did a little searching trying to locate a picture of Gordons hold down. I found a thread here Kal posted Oct of 2013 and Frosty replied to, but as with so many of the old threads after the "no so upgrade", none of the pits show, so it's another useless thread. Any chance someone can post up picts again. Please.

worthless.thumb.gif.f712bd24ed08ba177e8c

Edited by DSW

I go along with the tractor/loader but mine has a backhoe, used about every day for something but tool wise my 3' screwdriver, flat blade, heavy duty.  I used it for hard to reach screws and as a pry bar lifting tires onto vehicles, like the backhoe use it about everyday. 

Without a doubt, it's got to be the 2x72 belt grinder.  If you don't have one, you're really hamstringing yourself!  Not a day goes by that I don't use it for something, and I'm always wondering how I ever did without it.

There simply aren't words enough to describe how useful they are, even if you don't work with metal.  I might sell off all of my tools and move into an apartment.... but that 2x72 is going with me when I do!

I don't have a pic of the one I made this weekend but I did snag a pic of Gordon's hanging off the anvil at the demo - if the FORBIDDEN will let me I'll get it on here in a minute or so...

Not a great photo, taken at a distance.  According to Gordon the key was the thinned out/flattened part on the left, leading down to the flat part that actually comes in contact with what you're holding down - he said, if I recall correctly, that it gave the bar a bit more "spring" to it.  Also the height of the downward slope was important in clearing objects.  I don't know, looks deceptively simple, but all I know is I've tried some other, very similar designs before and never got one to work as well as this did.  Mild steel, water quenched again per his instructions.   Oh, also BTW, it works and pretty much stays in the pritchel hole, not the hardy hole (I think previous ones I'd attempted I'd tried to make work for the Hardy, don't know if that is part of the difference). 

hold.jpg

Beyond the usual blacksmithing tools, the go to tool is the electric welder. With it you can make all manner of other tools, tables, and things The list just goes on and on.

Ox/Ac is a good second choice because it can cut, heat, weld, etc etc, all in one unit.

Oh, gotta agree with Glenn on this.  Love my welder!  (is that weird?   :o )

Edited by SpankySmith

Stanley WorkMate.  I was given one for Christmas the year I got Married.  I got divorced years later but I kept the WorkMate.  That silly thing has been with me since 1976.  I have it sitting next to my steel table. Probably use it as much as any other item except forge and hammer.

I have several different ASO  one of which is a real anvil the others are just shapes that happen to be convenient. 

The tractor is a must. I bought a 1horse electric motor and put a 1/2 in chuck on it and mounted it to the work table. It now doubles as a sander cutter and scotchbrite pads and flap disc sanders.

The tool I am considering and have lived a long time without is a swedge block one is up for auction but I just don't know if I need it. I don't hear a lot of people using one but I see a lot of shops with one sitting mostly holding tools. Any comment would be appreciated

Normal size for a Work-Shop, Two feet Too Small.

Normal size for a sailboat, Just need another 2 feet.

Normal size for a Ladder - Almost, just need another 2 feet

Normal Wear for a working person , Steel Toes on 2 Feet

Normal kind of McCountry Dance, 2 Step with 2 Feet

I guess Feet are kind of important, They aren't Store bought, They are Home Grown.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

AFTER    re-thinking this thread then working in the shop USING what I use all the time !!! to hold things

& I have 5 of these in the shop on the portable welder trailer - LG outside fab table an so on

LOL ! can you guess what ??

well its a HF Vice the head swivels 360 degs around has pipe jaws & can hold round stock on its end - anything odd it can hold base swivels 360 degs I do alot of art stuff hard to hold where I need it

@ ANY angle you need I have yet to find something it can't hold well !!!  who ever designed it did good !!!!!

I just wish it was made better in the USA

I will post a pic for those that haven't seen one soon - its a go to tool daily & well worth the cost !!!