I Forge Iron

Any ideas on these hardy tools?

Daswulf

my brother often heads to some auctions I can't make it to and picked these guys up for me. The hardy is 1 1/2" so no good in my little hardy hole on my anvil but would work in a vice. I can tell oval shaped one in the lower right is for scrolling/bending. The other two have me baffled as to what they would really be intended for. The large one would make a nice small anvil top for in a vice but at the moment I don't see a need for it as that. I have absolutely no ideas on the little one up top.

Anyone have any repurposing ideas or what I could use them for? Either way it's just some stuff I'll keep hanging on to till a purpose fits them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

sorry i meant the stems (part that would be held by vice i guess) are 1 1/2" . thought it would be a bit large for a hardy hole on most any anvil. just trying to describe them as the looked. I still have alot to learn and i was wrong in thinking just because it has a stem for holding like that it would be considered a hardy tool. 

As to their original purpose---someone thought their job would be easier with them but I don't know what it was.

and the obvious truth. 

We have an entire section devoted to tools, since it appears your busy schedule has prevented you from looking through the IFI forum to notice, I will relocate it for you. 

Yes they are hardy tools but not hardies which is a specific type of hardy tooling. Hardies are designed for cutting steel, thin profile ones for hot steel and thick profile ones for cutting cold steel.  Not lumping all hardy tooling together makes it a lot easier when you say "hand me that hardy"   and don't want any of the other pile of twisting forks, bridges, cones, bics, clip benders, fullers, bottom swages,...

I have 3 anvils with a total of 4 1.5" hardy holes in them, (one has two).  I generally have to make my hardy tooling from top tools that I forge the hammer eye section to fit using my screw press. I have also made a set of hardy hole sleeves to be able to use my "regular" hardy tooling with my large anvils.  On my anvil with two 1.5" hardy holes I keep one sleeved for 1" and leave the other at 1.5"

The long thin one and the oval one both look like the shank was welded on. It's possible the shape has little to do with the actual use. They may have simply been a piece of stock big enough to do the job, so it was used even if it was over sized or odd shaped ( oval). No real way to tell 100%.

Thank you for clearing it up for me. As others have said there is a lot of info on the Internet and a lot of it can be generalized or just partial info.  

Those are probably pretty large anvils.

I also thought about it and am thinking it would be hard to guess a repurposing for these without knowing what I'd be doing. I'd settle for any ideas tho. 

there are things to be learned through everything. 

The long thin one and the oval one both look like the shank was welded on. It's possible the shape has little to do with the actual use. They may have simply been a piece of stock big enough to do the job, so it was used even if it was over sized or odd shaped ( oval). No real way to tell 100%.

Funnily enough I came to the opposite conclusion  sort of...It was the oval one which is the only thing I thought I had a clue on, and it was that it was a specific shape to wrap a link or loop around. The lug on the long side of the oval appears to be a hook to hold the end of the workpiece when you start to pull it around. As far as the hole in the middle goes I have made up similar jigs which also have provision to hook the end pin of a scroll wrench/bending fork in so you can pull the bar tight to the profile. Though I normally put the pin hole in the centre point of the arc.

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Those are good ideas on that one. I really had no clue other then they look like the one half of box jaw tongs. Thank you for the ideas. i never would have thought of collars. 

Never know, thats why it's nice to get others opinions, guesses, ideas. 

On the longer piece, i had some ideas on uses but i'd hate to modify such a nice large piece only to find a better use for it later(has happened) when i could have made a simpler, smaller, solution earlier off. 

haha i'm not very envious, but a larger anvill then a 100# would be nice. i'm in no hurry tho. and i like the post vices i have so far. no big deal at least i have pretty good stuff i scrounged to start with. i'm happy so far :)

tho i do want to improve my skills And equipment. skills/ knowledge are first.

i do notice mine moves around on me a bit but it dosnt affect my work, just means i need a heavier base or to bolt it down but i dont have my area set up how i want it yet to bolt anything down. no biggy, I can always nudge the stand back where it belongs for now. hey i'm just starting out. i need the exercise :) and again it's not the size of the anvil, it's how you use it. for now, for me i'm happy with what i got. and with these hardy tools, i'll find a use for them eventually or pass them on to the next person that has an idea for em.

thomas i would disagree with you that hardies are "only" cutting tools that go in the hardy hole of an anvil.  All tooling that go in the hardy hole are hardies.  We have just come custom to calling our hot or cold cut hardies "hardies.  it is like calling all locking pliers "ViseGrips" or all ajustable end wrenches "Crestent wrenches" or calling a box end wrench a wrench, but you also have combination wrenches, open end wenches, flare nut wrenches, pipe wrenches ect... all can be called wrenches.

thomas i would disagree with you that hardies are "only" cutting tools that go in the hardy hole of an anvil.  All tooling that go in the hardy hole are hardies.  We have just come custom to calling our hot or cold cut hardies "hardies.  it is like calling all locking pliers "ViseGrips" or all ajustable end wrenches "Crestent wrenches" or calling a box end wrench a wrench, but you also have combination wrenches, open end wenches, flare nut wrenches, pipe wrenches ect... all can be called wrenches.

Nope you have it backwards. The hardy hole was introduced into anvils to hold the already existing Hardy which is a cut off chisel used edge up. There may be various shapes of hardy, hot, cold, curved, butcher but all are cut off chisels. Probably the closest modern cut off to the original "hardy" is an "anvil devil." Basically a cut off chisel with a base wide enough to lay on the anvil face and be stable enough to do the job. I imagine the modern anvil devil is changed significantly from the olden day's hardy.

The oldest reference I've seen to bottom tools for the hardy hole are as "shank" bottom tools.

Calling anything with a square shank a "hardy" is a modern corruption of the terminology.

Frosty The Lucky.

the oval one i'll give a shot at a bending tool. the oblong one i might use as a more crisp anvil face as needed until i find a better use. and the other i dunno. maybe give them a shot at helping with box jaw tongs when i try a set, or collars when i'm ready. what ever they speak to me as. or if they could help out someone who has a purpose. :) I really like hearing what peoples ideas are on things i'm not sure of. it gives me ideas if not someone saying hey! i've been looking for That thing.