I Forge Iron

Buying adVISE?

falsevacuum

I'm sure I'm not the first or last to make the pun in the title, but it felt necessary. :) Back to the topic at hand:

I found a guy selling a 6" post vise for ~$120 (he said it was negotiable, but I couldn't figure out if he wanted more or less; $120 is what he bought it for). The vise is in good condition except the cap at the end of the screw box has broken off. No mechanical issues.

How big of a deal is this damage? My main concern is that I'll be keeping the vise outside and I don't want to ruin it. I can put a tarp over it, but the more tarps I put up the more grass dies :(

The other place I might acquire a vise is the New England Blacksmiths meet in about 15 days, but I'm not sure what the going rate for vises is there.

So, if this were you, would you snap up the 6" vise before someone else does (he isn't listing it online AFAIK), or check out the NEB meet for a better price first?

Thanks!

price seems fair enough.

if you can weld, you can add a cap. but if it's going to be out side, you can just put a garbage bag over it while not in use. then you're not killing grass and just covering the vise.

But I will add, you don't really want a lot of grass in your work area. there are lots of sparks and hot things falling in your work area, so killing off the grass and converting the area to dirt, or crushed gravel would be best.

What cap is this?  All my vises don't have a "cap"  It's an integral part of the screwbox for the ones that have an end on the screwbox and just an opening for those that don't have an end.  (columbian vises tend to have a short screwbox with an fairly large opening on the back)  If the screw and screw box is in good condition BUY IT NOW!  If it's not then it's up to you.  Easy enough to build a screw cover, shoot jbweld a metal pipe on/in the end of the box to cover the screw.

Thanks for the replies! 

price seems fair enough.

if you can weld, you can add a cap. but if it's going to be out side, you can just put a garbage bag over it while not in use. then you're not killing grass and just covering the vise.

But I will add, you don't really want a lot of grass in your work area. there are lots of sparks and hot things falling in your work area, so killing off the grass and converting the area to dirt, or crushed gravel would be best.

For welding, I have a Flux core wire feed welder. Will that work? I know vises have been made from everything from wrought iron to cast iron to steel, so I'm a little worried about damaging it. I think I can get access to oxyacetelene or TIG too, if that's better.

The trash bag seems like it would work well.

What cap is this?  All my vises don't have a "cap"  It's an integral part of the screwbox for the ones that have an end on the screwbox and just an opening for those that don't have an end.  (columbian vises tend to have a short screwbox with an fairly large opening on the back)  If the screw and screw box is in good condition BUY IT NOW!  If it's not then it's up to you.  Easy enough to build a screw cover, shoot jbweld a metal pipe on/in the end of the box to cover the screw.

It's a part of the screwbox on the stationary part of the vise, but its past where the weight bearing section is.

I think I'll buy it on Monday. 

Edit: also, I remember reading somewhere it should grip a dollar bill evenly, yeah?

Edited by falsevacuum

Round these parts a 6" vise for that $$ would have been gone by the time you hit the save button on your first post.

Haha, well hopefully he doesn't sell it until Monday! He didn't seem like he was in a huge hurry to sell it, just kind of a "oh, yeah, I don't really need this" kind of deal.

I don't like impulse purchases, which is half of why I didn't purchase it on the spot. The other half was that I paid him $100 for lessons and would have felt pretty bad spending about half my weekly income in under 4 hours.

can you get a picture of the vise with the missing end?  One of the nicest mods I've seen on a postvise was a fellow who put a zerk on the end and so greased the screw from the back pushing any crud out the front of the screwbox. My travel vise is getting a bit gritty so I probably need to soak both pieces in oil for a week and then wipe them down thoroughly.

I don't have a picture, but I do have a masterfully rendered image, recalled from my perfect memory, generated in the professional art software "MS Paint". :P The red section is the missing section. The vise opens and closes and has the spring and mounting bracket (not rendered)

I can get you a real picture when I buy the vise on Monday.

Untitled.png

I don't recall if the legs are beveled or not. You can clearly see the break line for the red part. (I'll post a picture after buying it) The guy showed me on another vise what the part originally looked like.

But if some vises don't have it, I guess it probably isn't important!

On the welding front, assuming I don't get beaten to the punch, should I start looking into finding someone who can gas/stick/TIG weld for me, or will my flux core work just fine? Or should I not even bother and go with epoxy/JB Weld like you mentioned?

Edited by falsevacuum

what Thomas said. You can't tell till you know what you're working with.

Note, my vise does not have anything covering the outer end of the screw at this point. the cover is just there to keep the crud out of the screw assembly. I think you're fine if the end isn't there.

I doubt you will be able to do any better price wise at the NEB Fall Event.  I've never seen a bargain at one yet.  I've paid $20, $40 and $120 for them in that area in the past 2 yrs. just depends on where you find them.  Best price was for a very nice 5" one at an auction at a woodworking shop at the end of the day, nobody cared for it so I opened at $20 and took it home.  Knew I should have said $10!     

Round these parts a 6" vise for that $$ would have been gone by the time you hit the save button on your first post.

makes me feel lucky then, the 6in i just bought (only seen 2 on craigslist since i started looking for blacksmith stuff) sat on craigslist till the post expired, i was lucky enough to shoot him an email a couple days before it expired.

wonder how the end of the box got broke off?, id assume that the end of the box isnt 100% required as long as the screw and threads in the box are ok

I got it! I paid $125.

The missing part is the first image. May not actually be missing. Nor does it seem necessary.

If you all think it's worth my while to still weld it, I can post a spark test tomorrow night.

Otherwise, how do I mount this sucker in my lawn?

20150831_165055.jpg

20150831_165117.jpg

20150831_165127.jpg

20150831_165134.jpg

20150831_165138.jpg

post in the ground firmly mounted. I used concrete some just pack it in really well (really dependent upon the type of soil available.)

Large foot (plate, sewer cover, Semi wheel, etc) with a post welded/mounted to it is a more mobile option.

A more mobile option is better since I'll be moving in a year. I got a couple of brake rotors, could those make a decent mount? They're a little on the small side but hopefully still alright?

that is a classic columbian post vise.  great score!!  the back of the box is right.  nothing has been broken off.  I have 5 that are all like that.  did i say great vises yet??  

Awesome! I'm thrilled to hear that!

I have 4 subaru brake rotors, each 12" diameter.

I opted for a wooden stand for ease of construction though. Still need to paint it. The only issue is that it's light and plywood bends, so it wants to topple when I open the vise. I might reinforce the plywood, but I think it's easier just to weigh down back end of the stand.

The jaws closed up much better after cleaning. I bet it was the grime getting in the way.

Should I bother with a finish for the vise? Maybe paint? I didn't use the power wire brush so I could leave the orignal finish somewhat in tact.

20150907_003950.jpg

20150907_004055.jpg

20150907_003920.jpg

20150907_004039.jpg

She's a beauty. How do you want to finish her? I painted my smaller vise but yours looks pretty nice as she stands. There aren't any rules really, it's your tool, your shop your choice.

Just don't forget pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Actually that's OSB not plywood and it's poor for something like your base. Real 3/4" plywood would do better. I lucked out and managed to get a scrap piece of 5/8" steel plate to use like you used that OSB on the bottom. Nice thing is as you stand on the section in front of the vise, it helps hold the vise down. I do use a piece of 3/4" plywood similar to the way you are using that for my compact bender and I haven't had too many issues with the wood bending in use, though I do often park the truck on the back half of the plywood  like where your stand is for weight, when bending thicker stuff.

If you have any place around that refaces concrete forms, look and see if you can't get a scrap of 3/4" form ply. That stuff has more layers than standard plywood and uses water proof glues. the 1/2" form ply I have is about as stiff as standard 3/4" plywood is. The 3/4" stuff I have I can easily stand in the middle of a 4x8 sheet spanning 2 saw horses without it bending at all.

We used to get scraps from Symons Forms in the city, but now get it from the people we get all our concrete supplies from ( Vimco). You should be able to locate some place that does forms if you are near a good sized city. Most big construction companies rent forms and many times the heavy forms that use 3/4" get refaced after every job.