I Forge Iron

Cast wingnuts

Very nice. I have an old hacksaw I use for demos, but would love to do something like that at one point to showcase my skills and have an interesting joinery project. Saved the pict for future reference and as a reminder. Thanks.

Thanks for the comments and compliments, folks!  The project seemed a little above my pay grade to begin with, but so was everything else I've made at one time or another.  It is a bit "baroque", I'll admit, but this was a frivolous project and I laid it on thick so I could learn a couple things.

About that hammer... I did it the old fashioned way... I bought it.

Noticed two of you are from the greater Philly area, that's where I got my start as a smith.

Cheers.

I believe many wing nuts are/were cast steel. I'm guessing not individually, but a multiple unit production. I have a couple 1/2" wing nuts that are cast and hot zinc dipped floating around in my nut'n'bolt bin. Had them for years; just haven't found a use for a wingnut that size yet. Nice saw BTW ;)

I believe many wing nuts are/were cast steel. I'm guessing not individually, but a multiple unit production.

Most likely produced in gated clusters, by Centrifugal Casting process.

Centrifugal Castings cool from the outside ( of the Mold ) toward the center, ... thereby "floating" the impurities toward the center.

This works particularly well for making "Nuts" ( and Pipe Fittings ), ... because the center of the part is subsequently machined away.

WIKI OF COURSE:

ASME B18.6.9 classifies wing nuts first by manufacturing method and then by style.

• Type A are cold forged or cold formed produced in regular, light and heavy dimensional series.
  • Type B are hot forged solid nuts available in three different wing styles.
  • Type C are die cast nuts available in three wing styles with variances between regular and heavy dimensional series
  • Type D are stamped sheet metal nuts available in three wing styles.