I Forge Iron

My first sculpture, pic heavy

My first sculpture.
Following on from my old thread asking "what animal is this?" (http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/42578-what-animal-is-this/) at the stage when I'd finished the frame.
Commissioned in secret by a client for his wife's birthday, which is tomorrow. I installed today whilst they are en route to their holiday destination, (another surprise to the wife), and by request of the client I am emailing pics and a video of the bear in situ so he can say...look what's waiting for you when you get home.
Mostly designed by me but with important input from the client. It has quite a lot of personal/emotional significance to the pair of them so I hope she likes it!

Bear long shot 001.jpg

Bear long shot 002.jpg

Bear long shot 004.jpg

Medium 001.jpg

Medium 002.jpg

Close up 001.jpg

Close up 002.jpg

Close up 003.jpg

Me and bear 001.jpg

Me and bear 002.jpg

Thanks folks. The client has emailed to say his wife loves it & can't wait to get home so that's a relief.

No it's not got a finish on as the client wants it to rust down like an alpaca sculpture they've already got in their arboretum. About a week ago I gave him a good dusting over with a flap disc to knock off some of the mill scale & have been spraying it with vinegar daily to start it rusting.

Really nice sculpture, very Balu.

LOL, for a split second when I read that I thought Balu was the surname of some south American artist I hadn't heard of and I'd inadvertently mimiced his style. Y'know, like "Juan Balu", the revered Chilean sculptor who was assasinated in the 50's. (Overactive imagination).
Or does he mean the bear from the Jungle Book...

Edited by Joel OF

LOL, for a split second when I read that I thought Balu was the surname of some south American artist I hadn't heard of and I'd inadvertently mimiced his style. Y'know, like "Juan Balu", the revered Chilean sculptor who was assasinated in the 50's. (Overactive imagination).Or does he mean the bear from the Jungle Book...

Oh LORD I can't stop laughing!! :lol: I didn't know Balu was an artist, how'd he hold a brush in his paw? Didn't his claws mess up the clay? Fur get stuck in the paint? Uh . . . Er . . . Was Mimic the monkey?

I don't think I ever took an art class I passed. Thank you for the laugh, I might be able to stop is a little while.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheers folks. I met the client's wife for the first time when I popped round the other day, she's happy with it so I'm happy. The bear's rusted down well & is a proper brown bear now. She said they had some little kids round recently and they were completely freaked out by it, haha.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...