I Forge Iron

forge welding, and quenching

There is a simple solution to this broad question: do your research, and by this I mean that you should look at the stickies on this site, then you should read posts, using the search engine to narrow your search down to reasonable elements. Your question is a little broad. Narrow it with reading of books and old posts on this website, then ask specific questions if you find that they have not been adaquately explained for you. 

for example: the correct quenchant depends on the alloy YOU are using; the intended use YOU plan for the item; YOUr preferences; specific aspects of YOUr heat treating; what YOU can access/use; etc

So the general question is like me asking you: "I need to buy a vehicle what would be best?"   Without including details like "it needs to be ocean going" or "gets good gas milage" or "can carry a dozen people" or "can carry 16 ton's of gravel" or "ALL OF THE ABOVE!"  can you provide a good answer to the original question without knowing the details?

Edited by ThomasPowers

It's long been my belief, that due to the intricacy of the human mind, people bring a given level of complexity to everything they do.

For instance, ... digging a ditch seems quite straightforward, ... but, to the discerning Ditch-Digger, there are MANY variables.

The original post was an honest question, ... but, depending on the level of complexity you bring to the subject, ... a Metallurgical Engineer couldn't provide an "all encompassing" answer.

Edited by SmoothBore

So the general question is like me asking you: "I need to buy a vehicle what would be best?"   Without including details like "it needs to be ocean going" or "gets good gas milage" or "can carry a dozen people" or "can carry 16 ton's of gravel" or "ALL OF THE ABOVE!"  can you provide a good answer to the original question without knowing the details?

They make an amphibious Unimog?

TW: We're NOT trying to discourage you but you're asking questions a person who knew the craft well enough to need to know wouldn't have to ask. I know, I REALLY hated the old universal answer to my questions, "If you have to ask you wouldn't understand." I HATED hearing that, seriously. Unfortunately it's probably one of the truest old sayings around.

There is a LOT to know about blacksmithing before you'll be able to use some of this info at all. for example you turn your nose up at the thought of a rail anvil. Why, is it a step down from the anvil you don't own now? Anything heavy and hard is an anvil IF you use it for one, rail is actually a pretty top shelf field expedient anvil if you forget trying to carve a horn, heal, hardy and pritchel holes in it.

How about finding an old sledge hammer head, piece of rail or virtually any thick piece of STEEL, build a fire and start learning the craft? None of the stuff you're asking about, NONE will do you any good if you don't know how to use it. Take a couple classes if you can find one, maybe offer to sweep floors and be nice a local blacksmith might show you the ropes if he thinks you aren't a danger to yourself in his shop.

This is a life long learning curve, I've been enjoying the ride for a good 50+ years and still learn new things every day. Often I learn more answering good questions. It's a GREAT ride, enjoy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have enjoyed reading Forge-practice and Heat Treatment of Steel by John Lord Bacon, circa  1913? ish I think.  You can get a digital copy for .99 off of amazon.  A lot of technical info in there.  

I feel compelled to read this book for no other reason than it being written by someone named Lord Bacon.

I feel compelled to read this book for no other reason than it being written by someone named Lord Bacon.

Not to mention being recommended by a squirrel on a stick!

Amazon eh, I think I can download it on my Kindle.

Frosty The Lucky.