I Forge Iron

Working on my Mayer 25lb

I don't understand what you mean by not enough room? Room for what, where?

You don't need to be a machinist to make a cross head, it's just a little fabrication. Can you weld? And I don't mean run a "bead" I mean actually weld.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frosty if I understand him correctly it looks like the left arm will not slide into the crosshead. You can see in the last photo he posted one is in the other is not and I'm guessing that the one on the left will not slide into the ears on the crosshead. Larry correct me if I'm wrong here.

I don't know that I would grind the arms because if you do get a proper cross head you may end up with play and have to shim brand new arms because of that.

Edited by Augus7us

Sorry, Frosty, just a casual welder.

on one side of the crosshead, the ears of the crosshead, where the arm fits between them and you then put in a pin or a bolt, they are not wide enough for the arm to fit.  On the other side, the arm fits and I still have about a tenth of an inch clearance.

Augus7us,

i emailed Roger with the pitman measurement, hoping he had some kind of crosshead that might fit it.

Edited by lloe01

My last 3 attempts to reply have been forbidden. ARGHHHH!!

I'd just buy one even though I can fab one. I won't comment on the quality of a BRAZE that is humped up like the braze itself adds strength. I wouldn't even grind out the excess brazing to make clearance I'd just scrap it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok, I didn't have to take hardly any thing of the ear of the arm.  Actually, all I did was remove the paint and smooth the ear so it wasn't rough. I then took a few thousandths off the inside of the ears of the crosshead and it fit great.  

Now I am waiting for the bronze bushings to insert into the ears of the arms. I also need to get the 1/2" pins for the ears of the arms. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like your metaphor mixology. Be careful not to drop your arm ears on your toes on the floor.

Okay, good news. Next time you run into a situation like this take a look, maybe a measurement and see if a little file work will do the trick.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. I do, sometimes, work barefooted. Not with hot stuff, tho! Just putting things together in the garage :) it would definitely hurt if I dropped an ear on my toes.

Just thinking about it hurts.  :o

I've been living in boots too long I'm a ridiculously tenderfooted guy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ordered my bushings again.  Should be here Saturday.

Meanwhile I tried to cutout the pins that are welded into the ram, connecting the toggle links to the ram.

I tried a hacksaw, nothing.  The blade did even bite   So, I tried my sawzall and got the same result.....nothing.

Finally, I got out my portable bandsaw and it wouldn't even bite the metal.

Maybe I can get my torch and heat it and then try the bandsaw again.

This hammer is fighting all the way!

image.jpg

image.jpg

In future, if one hacksaw blade won't cut don't ruin more blades trying other hack saws. Yes, a sawzall and metal bandsaw are EXACTLY the same saw blades in a different shape. Go buy an abrasive hack saw blade, they make them to cut almost anything. Heck, a Bimetal blade might do it, the teeth are carbides.

If you can get to them you might have to grind the heads flush with the casting and dive them out with a FLAT ended punch. However, do NOT attempt this unless you can support the opposite side of each ear or you'll snap the casting more easily than you'd believe.

If you have any doubts about how it's backed up do NOT try driving them out, it's not worth the risk.

Frosty The Lucky.

The big ring that was wrapped around the flywheel is blocking me from removing the ram or it would be on my work bench. I thought about grinding it.  I figure it is not worth it and didn't want to weaken the ram ears.  There sure are a lot of ears on this hammer!

I still might be able to get that ram off when I can dedicate some more time to it. 

The big ring around the flywheel? Are you talking about the crank plate? These things don't have flywheels. If the crank plate is in the way, take it off. They come off you know.

How about unbolting the guides and taking the ram out. OR pull the dies and see if it'll drop down far enough to get to the pins or remove the hammer.

These things were designed to be taken apart and sure guys with a "better" idea often really screw things up like welding bolts instead of just replacing them but still.

Think of it like taking a house of cards apart without blowing it over. Sometimes the piece you want is actually second or third in line of what IS.

Here's an idea, are there any pre-teens in the neighborhood? If yes, put the tools close by and tell them that under NO conditions may they remove those bolts! Then go have lunch the hammer should be pretty much nuts and bolts by time you finish a sandwich and second cup of coffee.

Frosty The Lucky.

yup you would be able to ship the entire hammer to Frosty in flat rate boxes and never go over the weight limit!

Good point Thomas. Take the hack saws out of the tool box. Then again I'll bet it'd look really nice green and gold.

Frosty The Lucky.

The ram guides are brazed, but they don't look adjustable anyways, even at the top. As for flywheel, that is what it says on Little giant resources Parts diagram.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Remember, this is a Mayer and not a Little Giant.  Parts may be different. But, then again, whoever owned this hammer loved brazing. 

Edited by lloe01
Removed duplicate picture

Hmmm. I have "The Little Giant Powerhammer" by Kern and there is no mention of a flywheel anywhere in the original Mayer Brothers parts lists, etc. Okay, I take it back on the parts list print in the first couple pages it's called the crank plate with "flywheel" added perhaps because a lot of people are calling it that. It doesn't really matter we just have to know what each other guy is talking about.

Did Mr. braze happy REALLY braze the ram guides on?! :angry: Some people shouldn't be allowed to work on anything more complicated than a chop stick!

Frosty The Lucky.

Crank plate sounds good :)  I'm looking around the bolts near the ram guides and cannot see any seam.  I will loosen the nuts and see what happens.  I hope the ram guide does come apart.  If not, it makes it really hard to repair it if something breaks.

I will see what I can do this weekend.

Thanks for all the ideas and help, guys!

Frosty, that picture of the "flywheel" is on the www.littlegianthammer.com "resources" page.  It is the parts diagram.

Edited by lloe01
Changed the website name, thanks Kozzy :)

Frosty, that picture of the "flywheel" is on the www.littlegiant.com "resources page.  It is the parts diagram.

Yes, I found that one on the website too. Apparently "flywheel" has been added to the original part's list drawing. The same illustration is printed several times in the book. It's a living language, I'll adapt. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I have been to Pete's place and have seen all the hammers in Will's link,  It has been a long time so I can't remember the exact configuration of the hammer giudes, hopefully someone with the same style hammer will chime in on this to help the original poster get his hammer in working order.