I Forge Iron

ball bearing punches

I read in a blacksmith projects book that you can make hollow tip punches using a small ball bearing. I wanted to make some eye punches for animal head forgings like bulls and rams etc. It says to heat the punch in the forge and then drive it down onto a small 1/8" ball bearing to create the depression.

Now, is this an urban myth or has anyone actually had success with this method of making an eye punch? I have tried on several occasions and finished up with ball bearings either squirting around the shop or just flattened like a pancake. A small bearing will heat up very quickly on contact so I guess you have to work very fast. I'll keep trying, but only if I know that it does work. Has anyone else made hollow tip punches this way, and is there a more reliable method?

Greetings Ausfire,

I have done several.. The secret to success is to take a flat plate and drive the bearing into the plate first to form a stable place to hold the bearing.. Than heat your punch and drive it into the bearing..  Sounds to easy but it works... Give it a try ... Good luck..

Forge on and make beautiful things.

Jim

Again... You do have to heat up the plate. I also sugest that you should use a brass hammer to set the bearing in the plate.. Hard in hard is not a good idea..  When finished the plate will serve as a heat sink and will keep the bearing cool and round

Jim

Sure, it works a treat. Being the lazy old coot I am I didn't drive the bearing into a heated plate first as recommended I just drilled a little less that 12 the bearing diameter into a plate so the bearing would stay. worked a treat and it's soooooo much easier and faster than forging a bearing in. BBs, .177 up to .22 cal. make very nice size small eye punches but BBs don't forge into a set plate worth spit.

The punch will mushroom every time, just dress it afterwards. It's the perfect time to shape it for the eye socket you wish. For instance Dragons are pictured with an ovate eye and vertical slit. A tiny chisel slit or SHARP center punch in the bearing before you drive it into the punch makes a pupil. IF you''re LUCKY. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

What ... BB's in AK ... Thought the smallest allowed is 30 06 .. LOL ..  Sure you can pre-drill before setting the bearing.. I'm spoiled I just use my fly press.  If you want a pupil Just grind a flat in the bearing..  Agin good luck

Edited by Jim Coke

I did it then went and started using a punch to punch the eye punch. Easy enough to make a ball punch to the size and shape desired. I then have it to use on other projects.

When I first started earning my living through working metal it was mainly silver with some brass and copper. I did a lot of chasing and made many punches using centre punches, chisels, drills and files to model the pattern on the end. 

If you use a pyramid or diamond faceted form of centre punch to create the hollow formed punch, the resulting pyramid makes for an interesting repeated texture…another way of creating a chequered pattern as on a rifle or shotgun for-end but can be produced on a concave surface.

A pyramid or diamond eye might be good for some beasts...

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Like others have stated, drill a small duvet in a plate to hold the bearing. Drill a small duvet or shallow hole in the end of the punch so the bearing does not want to slide around. Heat the punch, align with the bearing and hit the hammer end of the punch making the impression of the bearing. You can flatten the end a bit to create a elliptical eye, diamond shape, or what ever you wish. This is where you use modeling clay to test the results of the new eye punch.

Take the finished punch to the grinder and grind off any excess material creating an eye rim / socket, AND centering the punch to and around the eye.

Yes, the ball bearings work great to form the depression for an eye punch - now when you get to a demonstration and some how your eye punch goes missing what do you do? No ball bearing either? - Why a blacksmith hand forms one.... up set your punch end a fare bit, then with light glancing blows off the end almost parallel with the punch stock - start to pull the upsetted mat'll off the end of the punch stock as you rotate the punch very evenly and with even hammer glances - you will in effect form a depression buy pulling the outer upset mat'l off the end and for an eye punch - rotate the eye punch during use so as to even out the uneven parts inside the depression of the punch. Been there done that - yes it works well if done right.

. This is where you use modeling clay to test the results of the new eye punch.

Yes, I have a big block of lead with a smoothed off surface which is ideal as a punch tester too.

Jeremy: Interesting method. I understand how that works. As a learner I came across that effect accidentally ... never thought of using it as an intentional hollow punch making technique. Thanks.