I Forge Iron

Beginner Projects

Does anyone have any suggestions for beginners projects for me?

I have made letter openers, hooks, damascus steel knives, arrowheads, pokers and a hammer with help from a professional blacksmith and some leaf keyring attachment on my new forge. However I would like some suggestions for new simple projects that I can practice basic techniques on whilst being more interesting than just leaves.

Have enough tongs? :rolleyes: Does the wife have a nice pot rack? Shelf brackets? Gate or shed hinges? How many KINDS of leaves have you made? Flowers? Yard hardware, trellises, flower trees, Tiki torch holders, beer bottle/glass holders? Garden tools?

Just look around you, if it's made of steel try making one.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...
On 7/31/2015 at 1:18 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I have a shelf of books on historical ironwork; if I need a project I can just start paging through them till I hit something I like.  They range from iron age to 20th century.

Hey Thomas powers,

I'm looking for some Good reference books, any way you can shoot me a list of some that you have? Thx in advance!

Before I spend hours typing in books that may not be what you are looking for; could you narrow down what you do want and any restrictions: what languages do you read?  Can you access College Libraries? if you are in the USA can you do ILL? etc.

Some of the heavy hitters would be 

Early American Wrought Iron, Three Volumes in One; Sonn, Albert

Antique Iron, English and American: 15th Century Through 1850; Herbert Schiffer

Iron and Brass Implements of the English and American House; J Seymour Lindsay

Also have you checked the iforge section over at anvilfire.com; as I recall they have over 150 projects there.

(for a medieval crossbow: Payne-Gallwey's  The Crossbow : Its Military and Sporting History, Construction and Use)

On 7/31/2015 at 4:07 PM, senstrom said:

i like finding projects that require tools i do not have yet, that way i get 2-3 goods projects out of 1 idea

And that's how you end up in "Making a tool to make a tool to make a ... what was I making?" mode.

5 hours ago, n.rountree said:

I'm looking for some Good reference books,

There is a sub forum here that lists a lot of good books (some from Thomas).

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/40-book-reviews/

BTW: Welcome to IFI this thread will help with making the best use of the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Before I spend hours typing in books that may not be what you are looking for; could you narrow down what you do want and any restrictions: what languages do you read?  Can you access College Libraries? if you are in the USA can you do ILL? etc.

Sure no problem.

I'm just starting out and want to ultimately make high end chef knives, being a chef myself i take a high interest, but I like the idea of using my imagination and ingenuity to make whatever I need.native English reader and speaker, I speak I very small amount of German. I have access to my junior college which I attend. I'm in California.

What's ILL?

THANKS!

55 minutes ago, n.rountree said:

What's ILL?

Inter-Library Loan. 

If your library doesn’t have a book and another library does and is willing to loan it out, they will send it to your library. You check it out and return it there.

I'll assume it's the California in the USA and not one of the others...

A book I will suggest for your long term goals is "The Opera of Bartolomeo Scappi" published 1570, in english translation now. Scappi was cook for 5 Popes and wrote this book describing things.  It includes a series of woodcuts on his equipment---including a travelling set up I have been duplicating and a page of the needed knives for the kitchen.

You will also profit from the knifemaking books: Introduction to Knifemaking, Sells; The Complete Bladesmith, The Master Bladesmith, and the Pattern Welded Blade, Hrisoulas.

Note to make high end Chef's Knives I advise you to go slow and learn well and work on tooling up!  Making high end items can be done all by hand but the time involved is IMMENSE!  A great belt grinder will cut time by a LOT; for instance.  

Also learn how to clean your hands well; as a software engineer I can show up at meetings with "Forge Hands" and people will just give me a bit more room; as a chef.....