I Forge Iron

Cleaning out a shed I want to put my blacksmithing stuff in. Ran across this bunch of old jacks. What should I do with them? Clean them up and display them somehow in the shop? Maybe they need to go to another building. I'm almost thinking I should start a whole town with various repair shops. 

trojan 002.jpg

trojan 001.jpg

Ayup, house jacks. I'd keep a few at least and some look pretty cool maybe for display. Sometimes it's good to have some heavy lift or pressure available. A screw jack isn't going to make a forging press but will certainly straighten bent structural members or lift a . . . house.

Frosty The Lucky.

The bottle jacks in photo#1 look like house jacks, but aren't the ones in the cart automobile jacks. Those vintage ones are highly sought after by vintage car owners/restorers here.

That first photo has me drooling.  I have some weird fetish for old house jacks like that, and I have no idea why.  I don't even own any - just like the idea of them and looking at pictures of them.  I guess I should start hunting around the flea market for one or two just so I can say I own a few.  

The lever jacks in the second photo might be worth something if they go to a specific car.  A lot of restorers are always looking for that last little detail to complete a rebuild.

Old style jacks like the long handled red one on top of the load in the 2nd pict are great if you need to pull fence posts. Wrap a chain around the post and drop it over the hook on the jack and away you go. I've managed to pull some really solid posts that way using my cheap high lift farm jack. I'd love an older heavier duty one like some in that pict.

DSW, an engine hoist makes a great post puller too if they have a large concrete base on them. The splayed legs and long reach of the hoist works great. Though, depending on the soil in the location, you may need to make some wooden nests to put under the wheels to keep them from sinking in to much.

That's one I hadn't thought of before. Funny as I've pulled hundreds of posts out with the boom on the backhoe or excavator over the years. I never thought of the engine hoist the same way.

Don't know 'bout the jacks, but when you get done deciding you can send me the little red wagon they're sitting in - I have a thing for little red wagons.  :D

No, you can't have my wagon! I use it to drag things around. The long handled jack we call a "hound tail" jack. I think they were a thresher jack. I have one I use all the time. There is a big rail road jack kicking around somewhere. I'll have to hunt it up.

He is an old meany. It's not like you can pick up a little red wagon just anywhere! :wacko:

Frosty the Lucky.

No, but west of the 100th meridian it's more likely stuff won't be all rusty when you do find it.

Note. You guys that live in the acid rain belt... It would be well worth your time to come out west on  a treasure hunt

Edited by Howard Raymond

There you go ruining our hunting grounds with easterners; Folks there is NOTHING out here; miles and miles of miles and miles of NOTHING  though I hear Nebraska is a great place to go buy up blacksmithing equipment avoiding the manifest dangers of the Southwest.....(what is this "rain" you speak of; I googled it and is seems to be a widespread persistent joke about *water* falling from the skies!  Pull the other one!)

He is an old meany. It's not like you can pick up a little red wagon just anywhere! :wacko:

Frosty the Lucky.

Well, sure you can pick up a little red wagon anywhere - but you can't pick up a VINTAGE, rusty, well-used little red wagon just anywhere!   The rustier I get the more I appreciate rust in others!

Well, sure you can pick up a little red wagon anywhere - but you can't pick up a VINTAGE, rusty, well-used little red wagon just anywhere!   The rustier I get the more I appreciate rust in others!

Don't they have: garage, yard, estate, etc. sales where you live? Deb has a thing for Radio Flyers I had to put my foot down and use my veto powers or I wouldn't be able to walk in the shop for all the little old rusty red wagons. Personally the new ones with fat balloon tires don't get sold or I'd have a couple of my own.

I got enough rust on my hide, I don't need reminders.  :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty