I Forge Iron

My take on the Split Cross/Fredricks Cross

I pick up wooden baseball bats at: yard, garage, etc. sales if they're cheap. Last summer I bundled a bunch with something else and got 7 bats for under a dollar. They make excellent whockers and they're tough enough to last years. I cut the end for the head and drill it for the handle which is, Wait - for - it. . . the other end of the bat.

Frosty the Lucky.

Those are all good suggestions. I've been keeping my eyes open for a leather hammer lately. I like the idea of an old ball bat.

Alan, you need to slap an energizer sticker on that thirty year old mallet ;)

Most monday mornings I feel a bit like a drum beating fluffy rabbit...

Alan

Thank you for posting that template, the measurements are pretty much perfect for getting that nice diamond in the center.

Here are a couple I made from RR spikes earlier using your formula.The one on the left I decided to use the point of the spike for cut A.

014.jpg

the pipe cross was time consuming because I had to figure out how to get the seam aligned, I didn't do too well but I was in a hurry as usual.

the trick is to heat and twist the arms until the seams line up, BE PATIENT!!!!!!!!!!, I was not patient so the result is less than stellar.

The 1/4" sq stock is tough because of the size and the BURN IT UP factor.

George

split cross from pipe and qtr inch sq stk.pdf

Trying to reply to this thread, keep getting "forbidden, you do not have access," trying THIS message instead?

Weird, trying to post 3 sentences, it won't take it.... 

One last try, I was trying to comment on attempting 1/8" split crosses, I'm going to give it a try the next time I'm forging (after the heat drops below 100 degrees here).  I've found with the smaller ones the best method for me at least is to use two pairs of needle nose pliers to open them up, one to hold the stock, the other to pull open each arm.  Seems to work for me, I'll give it a try with the teeensy ones. 

Edited by SpankySmith

the pipe cross was time consuming because I had to figure out how to get the seam aligned, I didn't do too well but I was in a hurry as usual.

the trick is to heat and twist the arms until the seams line up, BE PATIENT!!!!!!!!!!, I was not patient so the result is less than stellar.

The 1/4" sq stock is tough because of the size and the BURN IT UP factor.

George

split cross from pipe and qtr inch sq stk.pdf

Those with the scrolls do look very nice! never thought about making them out of pipe, thanks for the link!

Edited by norrin_radd

Hey Spanky... I thought you might try those 1/8 " ones. They sure are cute. Along with the needle nose, I picked up a small pair of scrolling pliers from the jewelry section at the hobby store. You'll have to do it all in the flame of a small propane torch. Keep a can of water handy to cool your pliers as you work. I have a pair of bi-focal safety glasses that really help these old eyes. Good luck      Dave  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...