I Forge Iron

5115 steel?

what ? with less carbon than standard mild steel?  he did say 5115 ????? I do admit its slightly better than bronze for a blade, but could someone please explain the logic here, of telling the guy this rather than suggesting a good alloy to make these from ??

I was confused about this also-there were different specs listed for case hardening and carburizing. I am interested if someone can shed more light on this.

Edited by Bo T
lost the quote I was going to use

i got the same impression when i read the specs on 5115, the pins i have are seriously hard on the outside anyway? was surprised to see that the specs had it at such a low carbon

the other pins out of the same mold are all H13 not sure what is with 5115 pins, but free is free so...

Edited by senstrom

Acualy Steve's book opend my eyes to the fact that Carbon isnt the only aloying material to make steel hard, dont have it at hand or i would Quote. Despite all atemps on his part and others to paint him as a bad guy Steve is the bomb, makes you think, makes you stand behind your BS or go home, but at the end of the day he loves to teach.

A .8% chrome allow will "CASE" harden by forming chrome oxide on the surface becoming more wear resistant. The reason there is so much chrome in leaf spring is so it forms a chrome oxide case and resists wear in the stack. As it wears a new layer forms and chrome oxide on chrome oxide is relatively low friction.

When talking hardening a "case" refers to a surface layer of hard material typically for wear resistance. It means basically just what the word implies.

Frosty The Lucky