I Forge Iron

Hood/Chimney For Whitlox Forge?

I have been using a small whitlox forge  Link to forge  (using primarily hardwood charcoal) pulling it in and out of the garage, i want to build a chimney/hood so i can put it inside. But have no idea where to start. The forge itself is 16x16x9

What flue size should i use?

And what type of hood should i use? (i was thinking an overhead with enclosed sides around the forge so sparks/ash are more contained)

Any thoughts/advice would be very helpful!

That's a nice looking little forge. A side draft hood will work a treat though You'll need to rig a support. I'd start with 12" dia. black steel stove pipe and a "T Cap". A T cap simply fits into the end of stove pipe to block it, typically used to block one leg of a stove pipe T last time I bought one they were called a bushing cap but Google just looks at me funny when I search that term. There's an 8" one at Ace Hardware here.  Link removed

How it works is by making a shelf that will support the 12" T cap and a vertical arm to support the chimney off that. Pop rivet or sheet metal screw the cap to the shelf. This will need to be right off the back end of your forge, the helper is the front the air feed is the back. the next trick is to cut an opening in one end of a piece of 12" stove pipe about 2" from one end. Just make cuts in the pipe and leave the trimmings attached these will open like doors for a side air dam and one lift up like a little hood. Sighting down the center of your forge cut another opening a couple inches square on the far side. This is a "pass through" so you can heat the center of long pieces without fiddling around.

Make the total height maybe 6' and there it is a side draft forge hood that'll suck the flame sideways and up. If you were to put some nice smoking wood in the back of the fire you could smoke sausages, hams, etc. in the chimney for a tasty lunch. ;)

This isn't really much different than Charles's suggestion, just how I'd do it is all.

Frosty The Lucky

Hi-- we use this chimney as a sort of a hood/insulator for the forge at home and at shows, mostly for start up. We have not worked it up as an option on the forge, but you can see how it is made: a plate of steel, bent at edges to span the forge. A collar is welded to that to support 6" diameter stove pipe. It is not exactly an effective solution as an indoor hood, though. At some point we will probably offer something like this as an option because it is handy. 

hood.jpg

You want to bring the opening up a bit, say 6" above the top of the fire, as its a nice little portable forge, hang the flue independantly and you can just grab the forg and go to a demmo or play day. 

Turn the forge sideways so you can pass a long bar threw the fire with out cutting a hole in the back of the flue. That may get the flue high enugh. 

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

Sketchup used to be so much easier to use. <sigh>

I like the side mount better, no need to make a pass hole. Just keep the section you cut out and perhaps make a little hood at the top of the draft opening. I assume the forge simply sits on the stand so it wouldn't be hard to make a bracket off the "back" to hold the stack. Preferably something that broke down easily for transport.

The thing to remember winkling these things out is to try and keep it as simple as this little forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 11 months later...