I Forge Iron

Does anyone have close-up pictures of their Mayer 25 lb hammer.  Specifically, the ram and the arms.

mine seems to have a lot of things welded where there should have been bolts.

The welds look old.

thanks

larry

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by lloe01

From the little giant website it looks like I can replace everything hanging on the crankpin (arms, pins, spring, toggle links, etc...) with 25 lb LG parts. I sure hope so.

Im concerned about running it the way is is.

Larry

I measured the ones on my 50# LG. when I replaced them.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty.  Someone took to welding everything instead of using bolts. I'd rather have bolts for assurance. If you look at the top pictures, there aren't a lot of bolts.  Plus, it looks like they turned the cross head upside down and used pins instead of bolts.  This looks like it would introduce a bunch of slack where there shouldn't be any.  So I really want bolts :)

Indeed they did but you're going to have to cut the welds to change things out anyway measure them then. I probably sounded pretty cavalier with my last suggestion, I didn't mean to come across like that but it's the only alternative I see being reliable. Even if you look up the Patent docs or had the as built drawings for this very hammer a lot of time and owners have gone through it. You can't count on anything being factory spec.

I'd just take a grinder to the welded pin/bolt heads cut them loose and go from there. Heck there could be enough wear you'll need to shim them or fill and drill the holes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Indeed they did but you're going to have to cut the welds to change things out anyway measure them then. I probably sounded pretty cavalier with my last suggestion, I didn't mean to come across like that but it's the only alternative I see being reliable. Even if you look up the Patent docs or had the as built drawings for this very hammer a lot of time and owners have gone through it. You can't count on anything being factory spec.

I'd just take a grinder to the welded pin/bolt heads cut them loose and go from there. Heck there could be enough wear you'll need to shim them or fill and drill the holes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, Frosty, I took it as you telling me how you did it.

I'm really hoping to replace it all with LG parts (everything that is hanging off the crankpin, anyways). I think I will ask Roger when I do order.

But, I will definitely listen to any advice from you :)  

Larry

But, I will definitely listen to any advice from you :)  

Larry

:o I hope you keep a bucket of salt handy! Well, okay listening is okay just use your own judgement about taking advice. Yes? ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

It's good to document what you did if for no other reason than for your own owner/repair manual. Keeping a notebook is a good thing and document how much you spend, money and time it's all part of the machine. There's no telling what little tid bit might save you hours of headache later down the line.

Frosty The Lucky.