I Forge Iron

S7 Tool Steel Question

The blacksmith supply store sells tool steel in various forms. I am told it is S7. Can I use this for horse shoe tools like a creaser, a pritchel and fore-punch? Tools that are struck on one end and have to drive through hot steel on the other. Or perhaps a nail header???

I assume it can be hardened alot like a mild carbon steel? 

Forbidden replying to Mr Reynold's question so trying this...

It will work great for hot work tools, one of the best alloys for what we do.  A good number of my struck tools are S7.  However, your assumption that it can be hardened like mild steel is incorrect.  It even hardens differently (read more complicated) than high carbon plain low alloy steel.   Suppliers should be able to provide spec sheets and heat treat info, failing that there is already a wealth of data here and other places on the web.

I have a photocopy of a Hammer's Blow article from 15 or 20 years ago on the heat treatment of S series steels written by Frank Turley tacked to the wall of my shop.  I go to that when I need a refresher but it's too lengthy to type in here, you could buy the back issue from ABANA or perhaps Frank will chime in. 

Thin struck tools is where S7 is great, the mass of a nail header would in my experience make high alloys unnecessary.  Medium C like 1045 or tougher stuff like 4140 in a thicker cross section like a header will hold up almost as long and be much more economical.

Edited by Judson Yaggy

• 5 weeks later...

Just an FYI from a machinist with a minor bit of experience in tool and die: H13 is a hot work tool steel alloy typically used in something like injection mold cavities. S7 is a shock/impact resistant tool steel alloy typically used in something like blanking or forming dies. The letter designation preceding the number in some AISI-SAE designations for tool steel is a guide as to what the alloy is for. H = hot work, S = shock resistant. H13 is easily machined...S7 is more like trying to cut rubber with a landscaping timber. With other alloys, the AISI-SAE letter designation indicates the method of quench. A2 for example requires an air quench, while O6 needs an oil quench.

I happened to find this by chance: http://www.alro.com/datacatalog/014-toolsteel.pdf