I Forge Iron

steel identification

Exactly what you have is going to cost into the thousands of dollars

Good enough for blacksmithing can be done with a grinder---see the spark test and or the quench and break test.  There are also lists of items found in the junkyard and what kind of steel they *MAY* be; I haven't seen such a list without at least one glaring error. Also a manufacturer can change what they use 3 times a day if it suits them.  I've even run into a leaf spring that wouldn't quench harden so definitely not 5160

Edited by ThomasPowers

its all tooling steel (stainless) i work at a injection molding plant and all the steel i get is from the molds, ejector rods, thompson rods, tie rods and the like

also get alot of used blades from large part grinders, really hard, used to grind plastic car parts back into reusable pellets

Edited by senstrom

Bummer?  "Hey folks I've got solid gold and I'm upset it's not silver!"  

What alloy do you want for blades and what H13 do you have to trade?

lol! I don't think he quite understood what you were telling him at first. Or he doesn't think there's anyone close enough to him to trade with maybe... 

If you can get word from the folks that work on the machines, and can say that it is for sure h13 or the like, yea, I'd be open to a trade.  Can't assume that everything is H13, though.  Stainless steel comes in a lot of varieties.

That piece on the far right has caught my eye and I'd be curious to know the dimensions.  I could see it being a slitter chisel or drift if the size is right and it's H13 or similar.

Ok best thing to start would be to hold on to your trading material and perhaps take it to Quad-State this fall.

To get started bladesmithing go get an automobile coilspring and cut it down the sides on two opposite sides giving you a pile of ( pieces that are all the same steel.  Treat it like 5160 and you will probably be real close.

This will allow you to practice a lot on the same alloy and get the forging heat treat and destructive testing down pat for that steel.

Edited by ThomasPowers