I Forge Iron

Spring steel vs Car Axle steel for Punches?

I prefer coil spring mostly because it takes much less forging. Axle makes good bottom tools and handled top tools. Leaf spring is god for hacks and such, I'm getting less and less fond of leaf spring. It's good steel but generally requires more forging than coil, even for blades.

Frosty The Lucky.

Car/truck coil springs versus axels.

I think I would just use the one that tales the least forging. As long as you are using the tools on properly heated stock it doesn't make much difference.

Crow bars and/or digger bars made in the United States are also excellent

I found a couple or old rusty digger bars and made hot chisels, cold chisels. and all kinds of punches, hardy cutoff tools.  I don't harden anything that's used on hot iron. They work fine and a quick lick with a file is all you ever need to dress them.  

Slight hijack:

I haven't done it yet, but, was told by another boilermaker that the jaw portion of a stillson wrench makes for an excellent chisel. Process is to remove the 'jaw' portion of the jaw, leaving the knurled/sectioned part ready for forging. 36" stillsons make the best chisel due to size, and 'feel'.

I have collected a couple of jaws ready for an attempt to check this out. Reckon it will prove right.