I Forge Iron

Damascus layer count question

I was thinking about something this morning and can't convince myself which answer is correct, so I'm turning to the experts for opinions. When making a billet, let's say I start with a simple 5 layer stack; low carbon / nickel / high carbon / nickel / low carbon. When you cut and stack, or fold, or whatever, for the next step, does it make a ten layer billet? Or is it a nine layer because the two stacked surfaces being the same material would essentially be one thicker layer of the same material? To clarify, is it LC/NI/HC/NI/LC/NI/HC/NI/LC, or is that center LC layer considered two LC's?

Both methods are used, people who use the 2N-1 count say that since you have the same material doubled onto your self it is just a double thick layer. The 2N group say that then making a billet from cable will show no patterns as it's all the same material---but it does show a pattern and so 2N should also.

Then there are the ones that say layer counts and folds are really fairly meaningless without a whole lot of details, (I have 1000 layers in a piece 2 meters thick---I have 100 layers in a piece 1 mm thick  which has the higher layer count?)

dont matter  as long as your counting for your benefit is consistent you will be able to repeat what you did later.  in the end your count will never be 100% correct due to scale and grinding losing layers  anyway.  The only way to know for sure is to cut it in half and count  under a microscope

dont matter  as long as your counting for your benefit is consistent you will be able to repeat what you did later.  in the end your count will never be 100% correct due to scale and grinding losing layers  anyway.  The only way to know for sure is to cut it in half and count  under a microscope

​Exactly!  If I start with 5 layers, I count it like this, 5, 10, 20, 40, ect.  Most times though I tripple or quadruple stack, but you get the idea.  It's all an aproximation.

• 1 month later...