I Forge Iron

Long awaited Bailey tools

Beautiful hammer though I prefer a little less dome to the pein. Still, I wouldn't kick it out of the shop, I'd put my own handle on it but I'd use it hard before modifying anything.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's a joy to watch a pro at work, thank you for posting the link.

Watching him forge a punch is a near perfect example of what I meant in another post by "listening to the steel." When we take into account how video cameras distort lighting you can't count on your eyes to judge the temperature he's working the steel. Especially not his heat treating, the video camera makes it look like he's hardening at near yellow heat. He's NOT hardening that hot!

The point I'd like to make using Brent's video for an example is listening to the steel. As he forges you can hear the note change as the steel cools. Right out of the fire the sound is a metallic thunk and it becomes sharper and more of a ring as it cools until he'd doing the final plannishing at near black heat and the note is almost clinking.

My eyes are getting so I need bright light to see so I can't judge the temperature by eye so well, I have to judge by sound and the feel. Between your ears, hammer hand and holding hand you are getting a very detailed report of the steel's malleability with every blow. It just takes time and practice to learn to read the reports.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 months later...

Beautiful hammer though I prefer a little less dome to the pein. Still, I wouldn't kick it out of the shop, I'd put my own handle on it but I'd use it hard before modifying anything.

frosty this stupid software won't let me quote you in this thread but it will in others. Go figure 

Less dome in the  pein ?

That makes my normal ball pein hammers look like chipping hammers 

what is a pain used for?

anyone got a YouTube link to a good vid on this ?

Yes I'm a noob. no I don't care :)

Fergy

A ball peen hammer and a rounding hammer are two completely different tools even though they work using the same principles.

Stupid forbidden won't let me add the link to Brian Brazeals you tube video of using a rounding hammer...

Edited by DSW

Yes. A peen can be a number of shapes, round, ( ball peen or less rounded like a rounding hammer) straight peen, cross peen, diagonal peen etc.

Still not letting me post the link... Grrrr!

Edited by DSW

I would have used the term "move" metal myself, but yes. The way the peen is shaped determines how the metal will move. A round shape moves metal in all directions out from the center. A straight peen would move material at 90 deg to the long axis of the shape. Clay can be a great way to understand how metal moves when using the hammer face. This shape often combined with the horn on an anvil can push material one way or another by "pinching"

I've yet to understand what or why things get forbidden. By accident  in my last post I copied what I thought was the link to the video and it too it no problem. Great! Then I realized I'd copied a different website to post up to some one else rather than the rounding hammer video. I went back in and deleted the wrong link no problem, but every time I tried to post the youtube link, I got some sort of error message, though I've posted links in other threads. There seems to be no good rhyme or reason to this ongoing disaster.