I Forge Iron

First Blacksmithing Class - Peter's Valley

Technically the topic is true; my first class was in bladesmithing, so we didn't get to cover a bit of the stuff we did this weekend.

I took this class on Memorial Day weekend at Peter's Valley School of Craft in Layton, NJ. The class was taught by Sam Salvati.

I'd have posted the photos sooner, but I've been too busy with things at work, visiting the NJ Ren Faire with my wife, helping my family move, and preparing for my wife's birthday that I forgot to share what I did!

I know none of this is really "art," and most of it is amateur at best, but as a beginner, I'm reasonably proud of what I hammered out in two days of class with shared tools (one guillotine for 11 students, three hot cutters, etc). 

fORK.thumb.jpg.b0648617fb406efd4f4c98bff

A flesh fork. The bevel on the handle needs a bit more work, and I know I need more practice for fishtail scrolls. You also can't see the marks we put on the handle, but it is what it is.

handle.thumb.jpg.34f21798499bb07d8ad1cbb

My first attempt at a handle (front) with an attempt at a leaf (left) that I made during our free studio time at the end of the day. The handle in the back is NOT mine, but an example I was shown during our free time.
It's not entirely level, and the sections to attach it to the door/gate aren't perfectly matched, but for a first attempt at the end of a 14+ hour day, I'm pretty proud!

hooks.thumb.jpg.bb79e8141ddcf298998fed5c

Two of the hooks I made for the class. The one in the back is a simple hook to be mounted via a screw/nail, while the one predominantly in this photo is my first attempt at an s-hook (made a mistake with the top, but tried to make up for it).These were the first projects made on day one before lunch.
I also made another hook with a long nail to drive it in or, with some work, I can turn it into an over-the-door hook; I haven't photographed it yet.

poker.thumb.jpg.c7be796d9a0d77832565f73c

Final class project of day one was a fire poker. Reverse twists for the handle (torch and a twisting tool were abused here) with a ring at the base (didn't turn it the right way after making the shoulder, but it still works!), standard taper on the end with a bit of serpent waves for ornamentation. Not super pretty, but I like it!

And that's my first non-bladesmithing class. I have a sword class that begins next weekend (no delusions of finishing a sword in five days, but at least I'll learn the techniques), and unless the job hunting goes REALLY well, a Damascus class in August at the same location.

If the weather keeps holding, expect to see more of my random work!

Anthony: Lighten up on yourself, those are excellent first projects. No matter how good you get you're eye will be drawn with every thing you perceive as a fault in your work. That's a normal thing, especially for folk with above average eye hand aptitude. It's easy to be hard on ourselves and cut other folk slack.

If one of the old hands here says they've never turned a hook finial, etc. the wrong way they're BSing you. It's just too easy to turn a nook or finial scroll the opposite direction, that's the way it LOOKS like they're supposed to go.

It's all good work. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet. Looks realistic. I was reading about Brian's classes and it is reported his students make a pair of tongs. The first day. The first half of the first day.

??????????????

I teach a series of classes. VERY FEW of my students can make a pair of tongs in 9 hrs time on the second day.

Something doesn't add up here.

What you have is what I do for my students the first day. It has to be real. Takes them some time to hammer out an S hook from 5/16" stock. I have tried nails, but they can't do that. A fire poker is realistic as well as a hot dog fork etc.

Frosty I never messed up a S hook,  nope,   I was making some of the new 'C hooks' is all , yeah that's it...

I have had a student make half a working set of tongs his first day,  (I make the first half, one step at a time and they mirror me)  but many need longer than that, and I dont teach groups, I do one on one.  I dont have space for more than that, so I never tried.   We all learn at different rates, there is nothing wrong with that.  focus on what you need as a student and don’t be afraid to ask the instructor to repeat while allowing you a different angle to view.  Some times that is all I need to understand is a dif view, to see a piece of the actions I missed the first time.

If one of the old hands here says they've never turned a hook finial, etc. the wrong way they're BSing you. It's just too easy to turn a nook or finial scroll the opposite direction, that's the way it LOOKS like they're supposed to go.

That's so true and we've all done it. You can bluff your way out of it though. I always put a centre twist in those S hooks, so an extra half twist and all's well. :rolleyes:

It's all good work. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

I haven't... but then, I'm nowhere near being an old hand. I'm pretty sure I just haven't done enough of them to make that mistake yet.

Edited by LastRonin
I mean "design element".

Ausfire has the right of it, a twist in the shank and it's easy to fix the backwards finial. It's like the old type "hot dog" skiing, a good recovery scored higher than a perfect stunt. Allowing yourself some slack or a backdoor out of trouble is an old timer's secret to success. ;)

Steve of course being the exception that proves the rule.

Frosty The Lucky.