I Forge Iron

Making punchs and chisels?

I just tore an old tractor transmisson apart for parts and ended up with four  5/8" by 9" long shift rails. I stuck one in a vice and got after it with a hack saw. It wouldn't hardly scratch it. I'm looking for ideas to use these? I also have a 1 3/4" shaft 17 inches long I hope to make hammers from someday. How can I tell what kind of steel it's made of. Making tools is my biggest interest.

The other trick is progressive quenching.  Forge out some test pieces and prepare some different quenching media, air (hopefully you got plenty of that...;-) oil, salt water, and plain old water.  Check to see which one gives you the best hardening.   For air hardening steels you can prop them up so that air can get to them, if you chuck it in the vice the vice will quench at a faster rate.  For quenching in liquids an up and down stroke with a figure 8 swirl works well.  Don't want steam pockets causing irregularities...

The other trick is progressive quenching.  Forge out some test pieces and prepare some different quenching media, air (hopefully you got plenty of that...;-) oil, salt water, and plain old water.  Check to see which one gives you the best hardening.   For air hardening steels you can prop them up so that air can get to them, if you chuck it in the vice the vice will quench at a faster rate.  For quenching in liquids an up and down stroke with a figure 8 swirl works well.  Don't want steam pockets causing irregularities...

​I'll give that a try. I'd like to know what oil to start with and what temp should the oil/water be at. I just keep a bucket of water near the anvil at room/shop temp right now. I haven't used oil yet.

Learn about spark testing metal. That will tell you a lot

​Francis I want/need to learn how to spark test. I've read and watched videos but I can't see the videos good enough to see what's going on. I have some 5/8" mild steel I'll grind and then grind on one of these and take note of the difference. I come across an abundance of old tractor parts so I need to learn this stuff. I know I won't learn everything over night but my hope is to learn something every night.

​I'll give that a try. I'd like to know what oil to start with and what temp should the oil/water be at. I just keep a bucket of water near the anvil at room/shop temp right now. I haven't used oil yet.

​Good Morning,

The fact is, you have unknown material. With that in mind, what the polite people above are trying to do is, suggest that YOU have to figure out what works and what doesn't. There is no ONE answer.

The reason people purchase the proper steel for tools, is they don't like surprises when things shatter.

The fact is, doing what you are doing, you are on your own.:(:(

Neil

AR, for oils you can use peanut oil, old cooking oil (restaurants might give you some), which are safer and cleaner. some use motor oil but it can be a mess, etc.  The non-oil quenches are many, water, brine, air.  As suggested, try them all.  Search this site for quench liquids.

Edited by arkie

Nobody I live west of Eureka Springs  on the White river near Beaver lake. Go Hogs. I worked in Marietta Georgia in the late 90's.

Guys I heated a couple of the shift rails tonight and tapered them. I quenched one in water and the other in motor oil. Both would bend  like mild steel just like Thomas said. They went in a scrap bucket for later use but not for tools.

​Good Morning,

The fact is, you have unknown material. With that in mind, what the polite people above are trying to do is, suggest that YOU have to figure out what works and what doesn't. There is no ONE answer.

The reason people purchase the proper steel for tools, is they don't like surprises when things shatter.

The fact is, doing what you are doing, you are on your own.:(:(

Neil

​Advice taken and appreciated.

Guys I heated a couple of the shift rails tonight and tapered them. I quenched one in water and the other in motor oil. Both would bend  like mild steel just like Thomas said. They went in a scrap bucket for later use but not for tools.

Did you make sure it was hot enoigh before you quenched it? I had some known steel that didn't harden the other day because I messed up and pulled it out of the fire just a little too soon and didn't double check my temp before i quenched.

Did you make sure it was hot enoigh before you quenched it? I had some known steel that didn't harden the other day because I messed up and pulled it out of the fire just a little too soon and didn't double check my temp before i quenched.

​That could be. I did grind on them some while I was waiting on the fire to get hot. The shift rails seemed to be more of a yellowish color and much more sparklie. I ground on a piece of 3/8" mild steel and it seemed a more orange color and darker and less sparklie. I didn't grind hard or deep so possibly the case hardening could have caused the difference. I'm sure both pieces were well over 400 deg when I quenched them. I took them to a dull red and let them cool just a bit before I quenched.

I keep a big strong magnet from an old cb antenna mount right by the forge just for that reason. I usually check it on the magnet and put it back in the fire for a couple seconds before quenching, unless it stuck to the magnet in which case I leave it a little longer.

​Welcome to the real world, you did something wrong and something right. You heat Treated it wrong and you haven't quite learned what or why yet. But you are starting the Learning.

Take little steps, Grass Hopper!!

Neil

​Welcome to the real world, you did something wrong and something right. You heat Treated it wrong and you haven't quite learned what or why yet. But you are starting the Learning.

Take little steps, Grass Hopper!!

Neil

​I agree 100%. You guys are a great help. Sorry for the dumb questions but I really want to learn about the hardening process and different types of steel. I don't want to buy expensive steel just yet until I get some more experience. So far all I'm doing is learning steps and most everything I do is practice. I appreciate all the help very much. I hope to some day have the experience to help others as y'all have been helpin me. Thanks. Can I re-heat the pieces I already tapered or should I use the others I haven't heated yet?

You can cycle most steels numerous times with no issues.  Some alloys you should normalize between runs.  remember only the area you have  thinned down to test need to get up to austentizing temperature before quenching.

Edited by ThomasPowers