I Forge Iron

Little bit of weekend puttering

A friend asked for a fire poker and a set of pick up tongs for his father-in-law's fire pit.  Started on the pokers handle.  Half way happy with it.  Getting way to spoilt at work using the big stick welder to lay in really nice beads with my little wire feed.  And a teeny sickle for getting the grass in close to things.  Have a few larger sickles but keep catching the chicken wire on the coop  or the page wire around the garden.  It needs a few little adjustments and should work right nice.  A week or so back we had  one heck of a thunderstorm come through.  everything was rattling for a while then the hail came down.  Lucky that we're late getting the garden in or it would have been flattened.  Took the long way home,  and found an old cabin I've been looking for quite some time.  Ran fuel up for the skidder just the once and could never quite remember the twists and turns with 3' of snow and no spur roads visible. 

What odds an ends did everyone else work on this weekend?

DSC02105.thumb.JPG.c0938f9f7f024a0e4f60fDSC02106.thumb.JPG.5606000e9755617f751bfDSC02100.thumb.JPG.839ccdd978ae3a90ef8e5DSC02102.thumb.JPG.33b55261e5d120bc1ab13

Edited by Dogsoldat
text didn't stay with the post

I finally managed to get the shop cleaned out enough to drag my forge gear out. Everything has been a mess over the last two months as we try and clear out the last of my buddies old business stuff after his death and send it to the auction. In the mean time my forging stuff has been buried by stuff I had to move to get to the bigger stuff with the fork lift.

So since I haven't had any time forging since last August, I figured I'd start out light and get my hand back in again with some simple stuff I can take to the Grange fair this August. I also worked on a hardy block so I have a 2nd place to mount tools like my hot cut and not take up my anvil or vise space. I still need to trim the shovel blanks and work on handles for them. The one was just a slightly undersized piece of scrap I had that I'll probably turn into a coal shovel for my forge since I sold the one I made last year to someone who really wanted it. I've got a few more ideas for trowels I want to try and make later using the swage block I picked up at the end of last year.

DSCN4616a.thumb.JPG.aa59749f4c2d71c9cf9b

DSCN4617a.thumb.JPG.5b84b7ff102ad3e7ea6b

DSCN4619a.thumb.JPG.2e74dbfef180b55cdce1

DSCN4620a.thumb.JPG.b0941c69df152543373e

Edited by DSW

Dog    that was or is a good size cabin, presume out in no man's land.  Something in it's day.

DSW    weekend was cleaning and sorting tools and other items that need to move to new location.  Moving 200 miles north as soon as we can get the farm here sold.  A lot of stuff too heavy to pay to have shipped so each trip I haul a trailer load.  This week will include an Oak log about 5' long that will make a couple anvil stumps.  Some scrap steel I can't bring myself to take to the scrap yard, some old heavy chain, tractor chains, saw blade for a small mill and stuff that I will need at some point.  All my blacksmith items have left already and awaiting my arrival to spend more time that 2 days at a time there.  Some of this stuff has frequent flyer miles on it as it moved down from there over the last 19 years once, anvil has been moved so many times all I have to do is back the trailer up and it will almost jump on itself like a good horse will. 

Some of the items will just have to go the scrap yard can't move it all and some of it is just plain worn out will save what I can off them, I have more projects than time to do them in.  Had a medical scare last week that brings in things to a better light of getting it done, Now!  "He who hesitates is lost"  as they told us in the Army.

Nice looking work there.

Well it was a long weekend in Australia (Queen's Birthday Holiday) and my three days were spent mostly doing demos. It's our high tourist season now and lots of visitors from the south seeking the warmer weather.

I got to do a bit of work on the home forge, until my wife asked me to make a steel flower for her garden. She has this garden she calls a 'quirky' garden - full of odd things, colourful sculptures etc. and she wanted a big flower. I grabbed some old rasps and the sprocket from a bike. a lump of 30mm rebar and a couple of slasher blades for leaves and made this. I think she's going to paint it yellow like a sunflower. The things you do .. (sigh).

DSC_4102.jpg

I was working on a few knives this weekend now that the weather was finally working with me. Heat treated three projects I've been working on for the past few months and hammered out another experiment. Not too proud of this weekend's work, but at least I learned from it!

11412339_953517524668814_572569898668063

Poor attempt at a double bladed knife; realized I messed up the tip but didn't have the means to weld it, so I'll just be grinding it later.

Like to say the cabin is around 12-15' wide and over 30' long.  if your on google earth look up the city of paris BC, get you in the neighbourhood.  More than a few old mining camps and pits in the area. 

Bit of paint and that flower will look sharp Ausfire.

Librarian,  even a poor day a the forge is better than...   curious to see where you end up with that blade

Well managed to finish tweaking the poker to were I wanted it.  Spent a good bit of time and coal making a extra large set of pickup tongs.  starting stock was two pieces of1/4x1"x2'.  pretty happy with where the reigns ended up.  The jaws  a  little less so.  Had  them nicely matched and in adjusting to get the tips to touch the way  wanted the ended up a little asymetrcal.  not sure if it's worth trying to get that last little bit just so and bugger somDSC02109.thumb.JPG.6041f649dc29ad5687980DSC02108.thumb.JPG.37851458f0f261b228683DSC02107.thumb.JPG.bc7a22afa40f2fdcaa63eething else up.  Maybe tomorrows job.  But right now it feels like beer-o-clock

Edited by Dogsoldat