I Forge Iron

New guy from Arkansas

Hey Y'all I'm a new guy from Arkansas. I recently built a coal forge and I'm just getting started. I've been to several demonstrations and a few blacksmith meetings. I work as a carpenter of 30 years. I have some welding experience. I have 2 anvils and a leg vice. I have a shop full of welding equipment and mechanic tools. It's not working so well to add Blacksmith tools in the mix. I plan to build a small blacksmith shop this coming winter. Until then I'll get by working out front of my shop. I have met a few members of the BOA and hope to join soon. I'm looking forewards to some good learnin. So far I've made coat hooks and fire tools for the forge. My plan is to make Christmas presents for the older folk in the family and see where this leads. I collect amd restore old tractors and so I come across some shafts and such I plan on using for this. I also made a hardy hot cut from an old tractor spindle which seems to work ok. All the scrap yards in this area seem to be closing and the ones left don't sell to the public. If anyone in the area of North West Arkansas has any leads on scrap I'd appreciate it. I feel very fortunate to have some experienced Blacksmiths in the area who have already been of much help. I don't know where this will lead but it's a ride I plan to take and make the most of.

Thanks for sending me over here Arkie. This my first day off in quite a while. My wife is makin me rest today so I've spent a lot of time on here reading. I've hardly scratched the surface. I appreciate all the help you've given me to get started at this.

I believe that IFI is the greatest source of blacksmithing information anywhere.  If you can't find it here, then it just may not exist.... ;)

Charles hit the nail on the head...LOTS of reading to be done here!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcomes. Thomas I live west of Eureka Spgs.

​It's not likely anyone who isn't a close neighbor is going to remember where you are after we start reading another post. This why we suggest you put your general location in the header, that way it's always there right under your handle. It's not a requirement but it's really handy.

You just never know when a few guys are going to get together for a little hammer in or maybe needs a hand with something. It's a good thing, honest.

Frosty The Lucky.

Again thanks for the welcomes and advice. Frosty I did as you say and added a profile pic of my other hobby also. I can use all the help I can get. I'm surprised at how much help I've already recieved. I was told of this forum by a couple guys on a welding forum I frequent. Those guys have been a huge inspiration and help. I hope to return the favor someday. I was hoping to have a pic of a large pile of coal but That hasn't happened yet.

Ayup, as soon as you changed your profile it changed on all the posts you've made so if I'd been looking I wouldn't noticed. <wink> Nice other hobby, I'd LOVE to have a tractor, it'd have a couple attachments, like a bucket and backhoe though the forks would be close by.

We LOVE pics for sure but usually hope for something more glamorous than a pile of coal unless it's REALLY large that is. Uh . . . well . . . O-K-A-Y we like pics of anything coal is good. Seriously, anything.

Frosty The Lucky.