I Forge Iron

Music from Metal

I have great memories  from 95 or 96 of watching and listening to the percussionist Evelyn Glennie (now Dame evelyn Glennie) Play a whole BABA exhibition. she walked around and played everybody's sculptures and iron work.... It was very cool.

Evelyn Glennie is profoundly deaf , but is hasn't stopped her becoming the Uk's best known percussionist and she rocked that gig.

As an aside I have made symbols in steel (probably gongs) and tubular bells both of which are easy to make and tune. I have a long neglected but tenacious idea to make a Aeolian harp that would play storms , my brother was just yesterday mentioning a marine version of same  a metal sound instillation to play the tide.... a sea harp.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

An acquaintance of mine down on the west coast of Cal. has built a number, one changed note with the tides. A modification of one of his Wife's used wave action to make a sea serpent roar. Ah, he's been describing kinetic and sound sculptures for years, I may have parts of those wrong, some are indescribable by me.

Yeah, Aeolian instruments can be as simple as a wind chime or as grand as the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. She sang before and as she died you know. Dad and his Brothers used to talk about driving across Galloping Getrie in the wind and sometimes just sitting and listening. The oscillations that made her dance changed tension in cables that made her sing a modulating song. 

I've heard the song of wind through the Golden Gate bridge and the guy wires of radio towers and a biplane. 

So oh yeah, the limit is imagination and skill. Now you have my imagination rolling on a sunny afternoon. Hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.