I Forge Iron

I love my job!

this is my latest project

. Client brought me Three heavies to evaluate and prep to work Bricktown in Oklahoma City. One, an American Cream/Belgian was a wash. Some one has thumped on her and the fool trained her to lope (need her to walk, some times taught) running threw down town would be a bad thing and its just nit economically feasible to retrain her. But she is stable, not scared. Stands, backs to the cart, doesn't spook under harness. Just only has two gears, go and go faster. Any one need a chariot horse? We will be seeing if I can get her going under saddle, the change of venue may slow her down and help find her a good home.

the other two, the little black Percheron mare and the sorel Belgian mare are doing fine. The Percheron took her first fair last night, one more night accompanying the owner (the mare dosn't need it but it seems to make the client happy) and she goes home. The Belgian gets to see the big city today for an hour or two. Hope we don't make the evening news, lol

The pictures whee taken on our Sunday drive/rides. 25 miles in 8 hours (including stopping for lunch)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

with cupholders?  My little old pickup doesn't even have cup holders!

I got to ride a "crowd trained" horse at the Dublin (OH) Irish Festival one year---I was dressed in fancy silk medieval clothing and carrying a spear and portraying Brian Boru.  GREAT horse, stable as a rock, spent most of my time telling folks.  "watch out---horse here" as I had a goodly number of folks walk into the side of the horse totally oblivious!

Most fun I had was that they hadn't provided water and ice to the re-enactor camp as promised and it was a miserably hot and humid weekend, especially for people dressed for medieval Ireland.  So I "lead" a band of my "royal guard" and raided the water/ice stores---on horseback still carrying my spear!  All in good humour---and they didn't forget us on their rounds again!

Looks like I can post again! I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I like your job too Charles, I love the big guys, gentle giants unless some idiot "trained" them. some people shouldn't be trusted with a life form more advanced than yeast and I've known folk who could screw up yeast. <sigh>

Was that American Belgian beyond rehabbing or were you just too tight for time? We didn't have a lot of contact with the heavies when we raised horses but I never met one that wasn't pretty people oriented. Might ignore you but that was about as bad as I met. Sort of the State fair display horse version of barn sour, just tired of being messed with by strangers. It's so much better than stepping on people's feet to get rid of them.

I like your little helper, I'll bet the horse barely lifted it's feet while she was up there, just shuffled along so as to not make her fall. My appaloosa gelding Banjo was like that. Put a child on his back and he'd be hunching his back to keep the kid balanced, he'd lay down and roll to keep a child from falling any distance.

I like the cup holders, if I were to take up riding again I'd have to have a saddle with one.

You've gotten me remembering good times Charles and got me on a ramble. I think I'll just cross my fingers, hit "Submit Reply" and hope my IFI problems have been solved.

See you in the funny papers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Kinda makes me miss the team I use to drive horse logging.  Don't miss the fore cart that ran the swather,  they had it figured out real fast that the thickest part of the field and 3 extra steps would stall it all out.  made for a good ten minute break to clear it out and get  it all going again

My client likes her creatcher comforts, lol. That is the front of he carriage, TP. I have to build her a nice training cart as well. Cup holder and padded seat were her first requests, lol. Mine has an old wooden spring seat and no cup holders.

the vinue at brick town involves traffic, crowds, billboard trucks, bicycle cabs, and a couple of "peddle bars" and more than a few drunks and assorted idiots. Takes a "special" kind of person to train for that environment. So after two nights on the street the black mare will be under my tutelage for another 5 weeks, wile the red mare will have one weekend under me then be turned over to the owner. I pocked up two more horses to work (than makes 3 here and 3 coming over the next month).

Frosty, the white mare is certainly fixable, but the economics for the client (i need attest 12 more weeks before i would trust some one other than me and a real short list of others to drive her In Brick Town. The costs add up fast, training, feed, not working, etc. better to re-task her as a started riding horse and sell her on for the client. As I know I will be consulted by most buyers in this area I know she will not be misrepresented. The ladies in Dallas like to trail ride heavies.

amazing how my brand of "crazy" fits well with horses. For those that dont know that is Type II bipolor illness, PTSD and ADD. Horses are like having your very own biofeedback machine!.

had a break in traffic and was able to step out and snap a shot of her.

image.jpg