I Forge Iron

just getting set up, how am i doing so far?

Hey everyone, 

Newbie here, just getting started. I have a forge built from an old car rim and just got back from buying an anvil with my uncle. Haven't even used any of it yet. Just wondering what you guys think! 

We have a little squirrel cage blower that I will be attaching to the pipe coming off the rim forge. 

The anvil also has 2 (something) 1 stamped on the front of the anvil, which i guess is the weight because its a 200 pounder. It rings when hit, I've heard if the writing on it is punched instead of embossed it means its wrought but really I don't know! 

What would the 1728 be? I can't imagine thats a date, probably a serial number? theres nothing else visible on it that we can see. 

What do you guys think? 

I have an old cross pein hammer with a hole on the pein side, can i just use it as is or should I do anything with it before i get started? 

Thanks for any help any of you can provide, I know NOTHING about forging, but going to try and get started tomorrow :)

Karl

anvil 2.jpg

forge.jpg

anvil 1.jpg

its a car donut, maybe only 5 or 6 inches deep. but cutting notches in it actually sounds like a great idea! 

Like i said I haven't even tried this yet, just trying to get a feel if I am doing it correctly or not!

What does the bottom of the anvil look like?  The 1728 is the serial number and if it's on the right and the weight is on the left when looking at it from the horn end then we can probably give you the maker anyway.  American made!

Trenton with the weight on the left and serial on the right and if I recall correctly that low number would be around 1898; so not an old anvil; but a great one!

yeah if you're looking at the horn side the 1728 is on the right leg (??? that's it right?) and the weight is on the left, below the face. if this anvil is actually a nice one that's awesome because we got it for 400$!!

the bottom has a square hole in the direct center, I'd say the same size as the hardie hole. is this for helping secure it on a pedestal? 

Those were for moving it around with tongs while it was being forged. 

Many anvils are marked on the sides with the manufacturer. Look at it really close, and a little chalk rubbed on it can show the words better. 

Stamped doesn't mean wrought. My Sodefors is cast steel, and it is stamped.