I Forge Iron

Alloy markings?

I have a piece on 1 1/4" solid round steel with the number "321" stamped on the end of it. I've never seen markings on the end of a bar since I'm not used to bigger stock so I was curious if it might have been an alloy mark or if it was just some random stamping. I can get a picture of the end of the bar showing the size and marking if anyone would like to see.

321 STAINLESS is an alloy that's similar to 304,...  with the addition of a bit of Titanium.

It's commonly used for fairly high-temperature applications.

I'm most familiar with it's use, as exhaust valves for diesel engines.

If memory serves, ... it needs to be up around 2100 F ... for Forging.

Well then I haven't a clue what to do with it. I've tried stainless at the scrap yard and if the magnet sticks I get plain old iron rate so it's not anythin special to them either.

If anyone wants a piece let me know, you pay for shipping and I'll let you have it :)

As so often happens, ... I probably  should have been more direct .....

The alloys used to make Engine Exhaust Valves, are chosen primarily for their stability at high temperatures.

Those same characteristics would be very desirable in Tools intended for use in a Forge fire.

For instance, ... Tongs with Jaws that don't burn up as readily as those made from Mild Steel.

Any suggestions then on how to forge down 1.25" of stainless steel to the point I could make tongs and fire tools without a power hammer or a striker? I've tried forging this stuff down and to get about 1" of it 1/4" smaller in diameter takes a lot of effort. I may need to go hotter i was at a high orange when I last fooled with it and the heat doesn't stay long. I'll try cutting most of the way through it about 4" from the working end that should help limit the amount of heat the rest of it pulls from it I'd imagine.