I Forge Iron

Beginner steel stock

ok this is going to be a really dumb question.

If I want to buy some 1/4" square or round stock bars to start out forging some scrolls and other simple projects.. maybe tackle a set of tongs, what do I ask for at the Steel-R-Us store?  Just "I'd like to buy some 1/4" square and round stock" or are they likely to counter with, "well buddy what kind of steel stock you looking for? We got 01, 1060, CPM 10V, some D2, or how about some L6....etc.. etc.. etc.."

I just want to heat up some steel, smack it around, and learn how to make stuff.

If you ask for mild steel 1/4" you'll get what you are looking for. Just a thought, here merchants often have off cuts and/b'grade(sometimes not totally straight or odd lengths) ask its often very cheap and just the biscuit.

Both Lowes and Home Depot have racks of 3' and 4' mild steel, mostly round but some square, 1/4" to 1/2" is about what my local ones carry.  If you're just looking for quick/easy access you can grab some of that, at a cost of course.  Or find a fellow local smith and hit up his/her scrap bucket.  Or find a local metals shop and with permission hit up their scrap tub.  

I'm sure someone on here with a whole lot more experience can give you a better answer, but when I order from my local steel supplier over in the next county I just send him an order that says, for instance, "1/4" mild steel round" or "1/2" mild steel square".   They carry both hot roll and cold roll and I typically just order whichever happens to be cheaper (though the difference is usually very minimal).   My limited experience is that these guys know what you want when you just say "mild steel."   At least around here where I buy the steel there is quite the little community of blacksmiths in the area, so they're accustomed to such requests. 

Also, don't worry because very soon you will inherit "The Eye" - the ability to be driving down the road and instantly hone in on a tiny piece of usable steel 1/2 buried in mud.  It will call to you.  I can't explain it, but you will start seeing steel everywhere.   

Edited by SpankySmith

I get hot rolled when I can and NEVER from a big box store as 4' at a BBS will often be more expensive than 20' at a steel dealer.  And as previously mentioned ask about any over/undersized/rusty steel as it usually doesn't matter to us and so may be cheaper---get in good with a steel dealer and they may call you up with the "Hey we got in some stuff that doesn't meet spec, you want it cheap?"

my local craigslist had some 1/2" sq stock at US$7 per 20' I hope to buy the guy out tomorrow!

If you are wanting new steel and not scrap, go to your steel supplier near you.  It is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to buy the full length pieces.  Around here, the 1/4" rd and sq normally comes in 12' lengths, the 3/8" through 1" comes in 20' lengths.  Most suppliers will cut them in half for 6' or 10' pieces at no charge.  If you need shorter pieces to fit in a car or SUV, take along an angle grinder and cutoff wheel and cut your own lengths yourself for free if they do charge for cutting.  CAUTION!!!!...take along your PPE if you cut your own...safety glasses, gloves (and face shield if you have one).

If you are wanting new steel and not scrap, go to your steel supplier near you.  It is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to buy the full length pieces.

CAUTION!!!!...take along your PPE if you cut your own...safety glasses, gloves (and face shield if you have one).

​My"local" steel supplier has a rem rack that they sell steel at scrap prices...many times I'll find a 2-3 foot section of just what I need because someone else only needed 16 feet out of a 20 foot bar.  See if your supplier has a pile of cut off ends...

and on the PPE note, if you haven't already heard my rant, I'll repeat it.......If you're going to grind metal or use a cutting disc, get goggles that seal around your eyes.  About a month ago I was using an angle grinder and cutting disc as mentioned because it works really well, and I had safety specs AND a faceshield on and still got a shard in my eye.  $300 later and 2 optometry appts later the eye is fine.  After getting the shard drilled out of my eye (man those docs have steady hands...) I went to the tool store and spent another $20 on goggles....

DON'T SKIMP WHEN IT COMES TO EYE PROTECTION!!!!

DON'T SKIMP WHEN IT COMES TO EYE PROTECTION!!!!

​That's good advice.

You might also think about using your Grinder for Grinding, ... and initiate a more appropriate technique ( for instance, sawing ) for your "cut-off" operations.

Why waste the time cutting 1/4" stock with a grinder when a pair of bolt cutters, or hacksaw will do fine.

There are some threads already full of where to find metal for smithing. Try searching a little, and you should find some with tons of information for you. There are literally tons of steel around you that is good to use.

Yes I did search, asked around and read up to find sources. I just didn't know what to ask for, specifically.  I'm still trying to learn the language and lingo of smithing.

Oh and had a metal shop owner invite me over to rummage through their scrap pile last night!

​There you go. Being a likable guy is a good thing isn't it? Free is so much a better bargain than bulk discount isn't it?

Remember to make the gentleman something to show your appreciation. An excellent beginner project for this very purpose are coat hooks. Everybody needs something to hang their coat, lunch bucket, etc from and a hand forged one is something to brag about.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't be silly Ian, does the name Frost sound Indian to you? Oh okay, I am about 1/64 Modoc and somewhere else on Dad's side maybe Incan but not enough to effect how I carry  my lunch. My first lunch box was a Roy Rogers on Trigger with Bullet confronting a threat just out of the picture. Roy had just drawn his six shooter so there was no doubt a bushwacker was either going to fall or give up and be lead off to jail.

It wasn't till later I got my first one that held the thermos in the lid, Rat Pack I think it was but I'm not sure if I have the name right.

Okay, neither was actually a bucket or pail but the second one wasn't a box either so I get to choose what to call them. Right?

Another nice thank you gift would be a business card holder or bottle opener. Perhaps a letter opener, the secretary would like a little something and being on her good side is better than being buddies with the boss or owner you know. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the difference between hot and cold rolled steel.

Hot rolled is manufactured with the steel hot enough to be plastic.  As a result the corners are a bit rounded.  Normally 3/8" square is the smallest size I've been able to purchase but a couple of times I've encountered 1/4" square.

Cold rolled is just that.  The corners of the square stock are sharp and crisp.  Sometimes you want that but often hot rolled is just fine. Cold rolled is more expensive than hot rolled.  Cold rolled is often sold as "key stock" which is used as "keys" to fasten cog wheels to their axles.  Cold rolled is available in smaller sizes than hot rolled.  I've bought it down to 1/8" square.

Hot rolled usually comes in 20' pieces to the supplier from the steel mill.  Cold rolled comes in 12' lengths.

I think the " bucket"  was a lard pail with a snug lid that some  used a  container for lunch fixins, then a "tea billy " after, was told this as a child a long time ago

Edited by madax

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the difference between hot and cold rolled steel.

Hot rolled is manufactured with the steel hot enough to be plastic.  As a result the corners are a bit rounded.  Normally 3/8" square is the smallest size I've been able to purchase but a couple of times I've encountered 1/4" square.

Cold rolled is just that.  The corners of the square stock are sharp and crisp.  Sometimes you want that but often hot rolled is just fine. Cold rolled is more expensive than hot rolled.  Cold rolled is often sold as "key stock" which is used as "keys" to fasten cog wheels to their axles.  Cold rolled is available in smaller sizes than hot rolled.  I've bought it down to 1/8" square.

Hot rolled usually comes in 20' pieces to the supplier from the steel mill.  Cold rolled comes in 12' lengths.

​There is already a new,lengthy thread on the forum about HR vs. CR steel.....;)

I was HOPING he was joking Arkie. Poor taste maybe but . . . Oh . . . Let's just HOPE. :blink:

Ethan: 2/8" sq. is my favorite hand forging stock, it's heavy enough to give you some mistake room but light enough to move without working too hard at it. For rectangular I prefer 3/8" x 1". I rarely use 1/4" strip stock anymore though I do have a selection leaning against the wall.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, stanly is making their old 5 and 10 quart lunch boxes again. 

​I stopped buying Stanley after the second thermos in a row wouldn't keep coffee hot a whole hour. Now if I could find a nice Roy Rogers lunch box or better yet a Rat Patrol box W/ Rat Patrol thermos in the lid, I'd . . . Oh wait a second, I don't pack a lunch anywhere anymore.

Nevermind.

Frosty The Lucky.

the flat bar I use is for my horse bottle openers, and other things...

​I wasn't questioning why or suggesting you use something else, I was just saying what I use most. Your horse bottle openers speak well for your ability and choice of stock.

Frosty The Lucky.