I Forge Iron

Hot and heavy work

That piece with the square hole in it is the part of the tracks tensioner spring cage  off the D-8 track frame.  Have the square ended bolt that goes through it in the heap somewhere to. Figured it might make a nice stake anvil if I was bored one day.  Had scooped the Rims from the scrap bin for a fire pit along with the axles  and the drums are interesting because they are 14-16" diameter  but maybe 4-5" deep.  Had thought they might make nice fire pots for a forge. 

One day soon I might have a power hammer.  Need a bigger shop to squeeze it into.

heavy truck drums make nice planters, and as the two diferent types nest (there is a lip that nests into the backing plate to keep road debries out) some have the lip on the outer edge and some have it on the inner ( the drum is turned down half its thickness) so they make interesting stove bodys

• 2 weeks later...

Managed a little time in the shop today.  Straightened out the curve on the spring stock managed to get the hole punched.  And the began to fuller to isolate the faces.  Tried making a pair of tongs but just couldn't get into them, had a request for a couple more knives from a  friend so flogged two off.  Pretty happy with how the loops on the handles turned out.DSC02053.thumb.JPG.af18aef28bc2d37e621a8DSC02054.thumb.JPG.0551ef97ecff45baafb54DSC02052.thumb.JPG.e58500b2c497c4fb2ad3b