I Forge Iron

Hello from across the pond!

Symbiont

Hi there,

My name is Matt, I'm from the UK.

Been watching eBay and scouring the local bootsales and second hand shops for a decent sized sledgehammer head or some other anvil equivilent to get into blacksmithing.

I can't believe how few and far between sledgehammer heads, railroad offcuts, anything seems to be. I spent so much time looking for something anything with enough mass that I could start to learn to forge that in the end I gave up... and just bought an old wrought iron anvil instead!

It has no makers marks and some swayback from many years of use but I believe it'll serve me very well. I was looking for something in the 100-150lb range, thinking this would be a great size from beginner, up and onwards - however I think I have actually picked up something far far heavier as I can't lift it, my friend who states he can deadlift 300lbs can't lift it, the two of us had great fun trying to lift it out of my car and to the ground I can't believe how my and the guy I bought it from got it in the car in the first place - he must have done all the work! hahaha! :)

It's 30" long from heel to horn, 6 1/2 " wide and a 14" * 13" base - I'm unsure of it's weight but estimate it must be between 220 to 300lbs - rebound is between 60-70% (dropped 1 inch steel ball from 10-inches bounced to around 6-7 inches)

Anyway, my other interests are gardening/self-sufficiency, bushcraft, leatherwork and photography - as if I didn't have enough on my plate already I am going to learn smithing...

Cheers,
Matt

IMG_0765.JPG

Edited by Symbiont

Welcome aboard Matt, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Getting hooked up with experienced smiths will teach you the craft many many times as fast as learning it on your own.

Great score on the anvil, she's a beautiful lady if I ever saw one. The weight is prime if you aren't building a traveling kit. That right there is going to be the heart and soul of whatever you build as a smithy. The little bit of sway is nothing, an advantage in fact once you learn to use it. Forge across the face and it's more flat than you need. Straightening across the sway is THE way to straighten on the anvil. I use a wooden whocker (mallet) on a wood block to straighten and so will you as needs must.

She has good edges, the chipping is minimal, if they bother you enough a little disk grinder time will radius them out and radiused edges are good things.

The horn is very clean looking, nice, very nice.

60-70% rebound is in good working anvil range.

I'd just put that old lady on a stand and start polishing the face. Nooooo, not with a buffer, with HOT steel and hammers, in NO time she'll be showing her shiny smiling face.

The iron girdle/belt is for bolting her down, I'd use it, I like steel stands, long wood screws would fix her to a wooden stand if that's your preference.

I've got to say you have hundreds and hundreds of beginners this side of the pond suffering severe anvil envy with that lovely lady. I'm feeling a bit and I have a world class lady out there right now. good thing they don't get jealous eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Hi Matt, Welcome to the site, put in your location and there has to be someone who can help near you. 

Check out the Blacksmiths Guild UK in the groups section. We have numerous sledge hammer heads, forging stakes and other useful items that can be purchased by members, Plus other help we can give.

Enjoy your new addiction.

Cheers for the warm welcome all.

I have caught wind of a suitable stump from a friend, although if that doesn't materialise I think I'll knock up something suitable out of some 2x4s

I did notice the belt and figured I would use it to bolt her down to the stump/stand, I haven't seen another anvil with such a belt but I know a lot of people use chains - they hard works already been done for me :)

Out of curiousity I was trying to find some marks on the anvil to tell me weight or a maker (albiet found none), although that's not important is it! However, I did see a picture of an 'engine smiths' anvil which has the extra hardie hole near the horn.

I'll update my location, but I am in Guildford.

Good Morning,

Forget the marks, take the anvil to the local scale and find out what it is (a Bathroom Scale reads extremely accurate, just ask anyone on a Diet), not what it might have been. In the land of Trucking, they have to go over a highway scale. Look for the local scale shack (truckers call it The Chicken Coop). The guy in the Scale Shack will be happy to let you weigh it, for FREE.

I have as many anvil stumps as you would like, some even have the rest of the tree fastened to them. No problem nailing a bunch of short's together (2x4, 2x6, 2x8, whatever size). A Pail or a Garbage Can filled with sand, works too. Use a piece of plywood on top of the sand. If you have to raise or lower the Anvil, remove or add sand (KISS). The sand will not allow the Anvil to ring, a BONUS!!

The sway in the face of an Anvil, is a BONUS. It makes it a lot easier to straighten something. if you are concerned with the face, paint a shark mouth near the bottom of the Horn (Like a Mosquito Bomber). It will take the Focus away from the face. When in Rome........

The School of Hard Knocks, never has a recess. Enjoy the Journey, you never will get to the end of gaining knowledge. Just when you think you know it all, a kid will.............  Don't start counting the number of times you burn your fingers, numbers don't go high enough. "No it wasn't HOT, I just don't need long to LOOK AT IT".

Enjoy the Journey,

Neil

Cheers all, I have finally managed to obtain a stump. 

A tree had fallen down near where I lived and the council had been and cut up a few rounds and rolled them off the pathway so I drove the car there and hauled a huge round into the car. It doesn't seem a very typical thing to be doing on a Thursday night, think someone thought I was fly tipping - hey ho, I was actually cleaning up :)

Again, I underestimated the size as I drove past it in the car during the day - when I got there realised it was massive (19" high 27 1/2" diameter)

Got some tidying up to do (flattening, etc) before I can truely call it a stand, However I can't wait to finally get it on a stand, was going to build one but this will easily save me £20-30 in materials!

Sadly there are only a few international standard artist blacksmiths within a couple of miles of Guildford. And even worse you are at least twenty miles away from the only dedicated blacksmith's gallery in the United Kingdom.

Welcome, and well done with your excellent first purchase.

Alan

Hi Matt and welcome.

You will find the entire range of smiths here from enthusiastic amateurs to full time profesionals all bringing something different to the table.

The anvil is a great start, keep an eye open for the small ads in local papers, the sale cards down places like the co-op and farm/clearance auctions. Also check for steam rallies in your area they often have auctions of tools and odds and sods.

If you have not all ready, read the sections on new smiths and starting smithing they should give you a grounding on the site

Wayne