I Forge Iron

Building an Industrial Swage Block

JRigoni

For a couple years I've wanted a large industrial swage block.  Having no luck finding a good quality block with the shapes that I want, I went down the path of building one from scratch.  I drew up plans for a block 18"x18"x4" A36 mild steel.  The benefits of a mild steel block are several.  I can repair it easier.  I can weld to the block and it also will be stronger than the cast iron blocks 100 yrs. ago.  I kept my block square to help with sledgehammer work, (moving and striking around the block).  I did a little research in the Houston area for routes to go about cutting out the 18 shapes.  Here are the stats:

1. 18x18x4" wire EDM. $12,000
2. 18x18x4" waterjet. $2,800

3. 18x18x2 3/4" waterjet. $2,280
4. 18x18x2"(two plates that I would weld together making 4") $1,525
each.

I reduced the thickness to 3" to both save on cost and improve accuracy.  I ended up using waterjet cutting which ended up being the only way to cut the shapes cleanly.  Both oxy-fuel and plasma cutting shops were not able to accurately cut objects that small and thru that thick of a plate.  The outside, yes, but not the interior.  I also contacted shops to drill/mill out the objects and they also turned the job down due to high cost.  I was referred to a local smith, Lee Lanford in Austin who could cut the block on the waterjet.  After picking up the block, it looked great.  The profiles of each hole were accurate (on the top) and clean.  The waterjet washes out a little on the underside, which can be cleaned with files.  I fabricated the base with 3/8" angle iron and forged the rivets from 1/2."  Now this beast is ready for some sledgehammer work :)

20150312_163048.jpg

img_2433.jpg

img_2439.jpg

img_2443.jpg

img_2436.jpg

20150321_122618.jpg

20150324_144358.jpg

img_2421.jpg

No edge shapes? I have an old Lancaster pattern swage block and almost the only shapes I use are the swage dies on the edges.

That's a beautiful tool, I think it'll serve you and your grandchildren well. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

OA can make clean cuts if set up right. Corners may not be super sharp, but the main cut is good. These are a couple my Dad burned out of scrap plate. The plan was to drill the smaller holes. I may use the blank space for depressions - if I ever need a swage block for a project.

IMG_20140215_152549.jpg

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

"Now this beast is ready for some sledgehammer work"

The Block might be, ... but I can't help but "second guess" the design of the stand.

Rivets seem like an odd choice, for withstanding the "shear" loads that heavy Hammering will generate.

And I'd think the ends of the Legs, ( and the Floor ) would benefit greatly, from the addition of some 1/2" or thicker, "Foot Pads", ... to spread the load a bit.

For what it's worth .....

Good call on the riveted joints Smoothbore that went right past me. They're a definite failure point. I'm thinking a length of angle riveted inside the main leg from the floor to butt against the bottom of the frame will stop shearing action, just like a cripple on a window or door frame in a wall.

Something that really struck me but I forgot to comment about is the rivet header. It's turning out some gorgeous rivets, just plain beautiful.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks everybody!  Hmm, I used 1/2" rivets, so 8" total of holding material.  I'll run a weld underneath just in case of shearing.  The die for the rivets was turned from a large hex bolt.  I then heated up the face and smashed a 7/8" ball bearing into it.  Chucked it back into the lathe to turn it down to the proper depth.  I can use the ball bearing to align it under the fly press.

Rivet Header, I was wondering what some of the pictures were showing.

I would second the pads on the feet.  I agree that with 16 half inch rivets it should be pretty strong, but over time they can get beat down if this gets a lot of use under heavy hammering.

Overall it looks really nice.

You're a . . . machinist!?:o NAW never would've figured that. <grin> My Father was a metal spinner and machinist, I grew up working in his shop. I've always appreciated precision work, it shows in the flawless fit and finish. Part of why I took up blacksmithing was to escape living with really tight tolerances, it was like a vacation.

Well, that and you gotta play with fire and hit things with hammers.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm thinking a length of angle riveted inside the main leg from the floor to butt against the bottom of the frame will stop shearing action

Something that really struck me but I forgot to comment about is the rivet header. It's turning out some gorgeous rivets, just plain beautiful.

Frosty The Lucky.

​That was my exact thought, as well.

And ditto on the nice rivets, too.

Thanks everybody, I took your suggestion and reinforced the underside with welds but nothing visible from the outside.  I thought I'd share some drifts I've made for the block.  I turned them on the lathe, filed to round and case hardened two of them.  The middle one is 4140, which was a pain to machine and file. 

drift1.jpg

drift2.jpg

drift3.jpg

drift4.jpg

industrial swage block with drifts.jpg

industrial swage.jpg

Edited by JRigoni

Very impressive.   The the bevel at the top is a very nice touch!  Are you thinking about getting a taper attachment for your lathe?  

Most of my drifts are old structural steel bullpins; just picked up one two weeks ago at the fleamarket for US$3. (one of those rare, strange days when folks set their prices reasonable!  Broad Axe head in decent condition $5, bullpin $3, etc...)

thanks, I might buy a taper attachment in the future, but this will have to do for now.  The largest drift was made of some type of hardening tool steel.  I heated it up in the forge and slowly cooled to anneal, and it still ruined two of my large files, gouged in the teeth.  Even when I turned it down, it left a rainbow sheen on the surface.  I ended up using the compound at and angle and worked 3" at a time to get the rest cut.  I'm working on forging oval drifts this week. 

20150404_165924.jpg

oval drift.jpg

swage block.jpg

20150402_194821.jpg

Thanks for posting. I always enjoy seeing your work and this is just as outstanding as the rest. What sizes are the round and square holes? Is there much taper from the top of the wholes to the bottom?

I also have been wanting an industrial swage block and have not been able to find anything acceptable. Where did you buy the steel plate?

Nice looking double calipers can you post some more pictures of them?

Edited by kubiack

Thank you, the holes start at 3/4" and go up 1/4" increments to 2 1/2" for both square and round.  The waterjet isn't perfect.  The holes are accurate on the top, but wash out at the bottom.  It isn't an issue, so long as the block is used only on one side.  The calipers I had to re-make.  If each arm has a rivet, then each can be tightened independently.

• 8 months later...