I Forge Iron

Looking for a scrap yard in central MN

Hey, folks.

I've been looking for a block of steel I can grind the corners of, heat treat, and use as an anvil. Plus, I was hoping to find some 4140 stock that I can chop up and use as hammers. The problem is I can't even find a scrap yard that will sell to me. I've been to four now, and called half a dozen more in the twin cities and each has told me that they can't sell to private parties. I feel like I'm living on another planet, hearing all of these scrapyard stories. Does anyone know of a couple in central MN that allows digging and finding? Or one out in the country a bit that they've had particularly good luck at?

Cheers,

Michael

similar experience here, michael. a locally owned yard that would sell went big-time when absorbed by one of the large (huge) recyclers and would no longer sell. i actually found an anvil before any good useable chunks. i wonder if an excavating contractor might be a source? we minnesotan's just can't seem to get enough of digging holes; it's to get out of the wind.

MS, any of the best junk or salvage places I've found were not in the larger areas, and not well advertised.  It may be worth a trip out into the boonies (I know there are lots of those areas in MN) and asking around in several small towns.  With all the mining history in MN, I'm sure there are some places out there with salvaged mining equipment.  I've found similar in Northern Wisconsin.  Gold mines for blacksmiths!  Best of luck