I Forge Iron

Can I turn the Steel Plate into a Swage Block?

b4utoo

Not really a good shape for a swage block. I would keep as is, and use it for a post vise base . My Dad made this base from a piece 2" thick, and a 24" diameter. Made it easy to move around, just tip and roll. 

Yes , swage blocks can be made from plate. My Dad also made one of those out at the college we were taking blacksmithing classes at.

Hi b4utoo!

Upsetting plate was the first thing came into my mind, too.

May I ask why do you need a swage block? There are plenty other ways to solve problems you would use a swage block for. Of course those blocks are really nice and desirable things so I understand that one wants one :)

Bests and happy hammering!

Gergely

Those are really cool Biggundoctor! I am completely new to all this. But I am trying to branch out from woodworking.

Swiveling post vise is great idea...

I am still looking for a post vise :)

I just watch this video this guy used a swage block very convietly making a Flatter hammer.

Upsetting plate seems more logical choice because of the shape and thickness after several responses to that logic.

I think if you ask him, Tubbe can tell you how to forge a flatter without swage block. Although that video of his is great!

If you are beginner and if you don't mind me for saying so - try to focus a bit smaller things first as flatters or hammers. Making and maintaining a proper fire during heating big stock is not that easy at first neither to shape those big chunks to your will. Ok, I stop being so negative - I don't know what got into me. So all I'm saying is if you start with small projects you can sidestep lots of failures. And so you can enjoy the learning curve more.

Happy hammering

Gergely

It is a complete ground round already. Every shop should have one, though I was one place recently where there was a hole in the floor and an ancient anvil dropped into the hole for upsetting. I saw it being used and it worked very well. 

I call it a good score as is. 

There was a video posted here a few months ago on making a swage block from a stack of plates, bolting them together then welding all the edges. 

The cheapest swage block I have ever seen was $800. (most around here simply are not for sale)

Edited by arftist

Here is just my opinion, since you are just getting started concentrate on the basics first. Get your anvil set up, get a heat source, and a hammer. Get some small dia scraps, and start pounding some iron, again starting with the basics. Tapers, round to square, square to round, etc.. After you have done this for awhile, and get proficient , THEN you start adding tools thet you NEED.  To be very honest, I have yet to use the swage blocks my Dad made around 1990?-he didn't get to use them either. Why not? Haven't needed one yet. It is easy to get overwhelmed with gottahaves with all of the cool tools available. I would love to have a cone mandrel, do I need one? Not yet.....but they look sooooo cool! :D

Seriously, just get started, and then add as you go. No sense wasting time nor money on items you don't  need. Especially since prices are a lot more than what my Dad and I were paying.  On another note a friend was offered a swage block for free, but he passed it up because he had other things going on. The guy eventually sold it to someone else.  You may want to read some of the comments about swage blocks in the other threads, references to boat anchors in some....

Yeah, you're making a typical mistake new folk make in any craft. Collecting all the tools won't help you make stuff. The tools don't do the work, the craftsman does the work a good one will do it with or without the tool.

Believe me I have a great swage block and almost never use it. I have a few bottom swages I use pretty often and their mates are on the Lancaster swage block a few feet away and I dig out the bottom swages far more often that take a couple steps.

Frosty The Lucky.

I will check again... I just wanted the swage to try a few ideas on...I am just starting out...putting the cart before the horse...hard not too...I did score at the local swap meet. A old machinist had alot of good stuff. Alot of piece I can turn into a variety of hardy's And about half dozen tongs..

And score on a lot of steel, big rig axels stuff...And milk crate full of variety of hammers and axes...vices , draw knives,etc etc...IT WAS LIKE THEY WANTED TO GIVE IT AWAY THIS WEEKEND!

Edited by b4utoo

That sounds like a SWEET day at the swap meet. I REALLY S.Cal miss swap meets.

I think we all wanted to collect all the tools when we first started, it's sort of a trap. A person can find they've held off learning the craft far too long looking for THAT tool. You have an anvil, now build a fire and beat some steel into submission, that's where the craft is. It's NOT in any tool, it's in YOUR mind and hands and you have to teach them.

As your skills increase your need for tools decreases. Your desire will always remain high but you just won't need them all.

Oh wait, where are the pics of the swap meet scores! Where are our pics!

.Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, that's a pretty good haul! Your hammer needs got covered for a while :)

I really like the stubby looking small sledge in picture 3 at the up right side. 

Now go and hit on some things with those bad boys - It will take some time to find out which ones are the best suited to your hands and pace.

Bests and thanks for sharing!

Gergely