I Forge Iron

6x4 headache saw?

Hi folks,

After much deliberation over saw types I'm in the market for a new 6x4 band saw. I've read a good few reviews and forum threads to have an idea what their drawbacks are (mainly mitreing back towards the vice) but all in all I still think they're the best saws for me. The consensus seems to be that they're all made in China then repainted and rebadged, castings are good but assembly is poor.

Basically all I'm after is some reassurance that I'm not going to be banging my head against a brick wall all day every day trying to get the thing to cut straight. If I can spend a little time setting it up when I first get it and reduce the cut drift to 1.5mm across 100mm I'll be happy. I appreciate that they take some setting up to get them to work well but I don't want to be fiddling with it every time I need a decent cut. Am I asking for a headache?

These machines are type I'm checking out, I'd appreciate and words of wisdom.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-mcb1155hd-swivel-head-metal-cutting-bandsaw

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-07288-6-swivel-metal-cutting-bandsaw-230v.html

Everyone seems to start with the same castings, and paints them their own color. The main differences between finished models that we see on this side of the pond are:

1. The quality and source of the electric motor and switches.

2. The quality and source of the blade guides and bearings.

3. Product support thru the warranty period and beyond, mainly parts availability and customer relations.

The same applies to all SE asian imported devices, be it grinders, lathes, welders, plasma cutters, or any other product. It really helps to be able to see the items in a showroom, and try them out. But I have come to the conclusion that all of this stuff is a kit that you have to upgrade and repair yourself.

It is getting harder to source American made tools here, and the German and Swiss models are 3 to 5 times more expensive.

Personally I would go for a good old fashioned power hacksaw aka Donkey saw, they will far outlast the majority of bandsaws on offer, Plus you can let them run on their own happily, whilst you get on with other things

I've given up trying to find a small power hacksaw, I've had my eye out for one for ages but not had any joy fidning one within a sensible driving distance.

John, sounds like you're saying you can't walk away from a bandsaw even if it's got an auto-stop?

The other thing I'm keen on is the swivel arm rather than a swivel vice, I think that'll be handy for mitreing the ends of long stock.

I'm not sure how it is in good old blighty but here powersaw blades are getting to be a joke pricewise! Two weeks ago I had three powersaws and I have since scrapped a medium(400mm) sized one, if you were closer Joel I'd say drive on over and fetch the small one (350 mm). Joel I have one of those saws lying outside they work surprisingly well for what they are but they do require your regular and often undivided attention. All in all I think it would be worth your while to try and make friends/contact with a auctioneer that specializes in factory liquidations and downsizing. That way you'll be able to get older industrial equipment rather than flash "handyman" equipment offer better equipment at better prices (yes you may have to repaint and replace some bearings etc. ) learn how to test an electrical motor with a multi-tester and you will be amazed at what you can pick up at the local scrapyard/recycling center.

Sorry I don't mean to tell you how to go about things/run your life etc. Just giving my 2cents and hope it helps.

Hey Joel I've just recently picked up two 4x6 bandsaws one new from harbor freight and another older model I bought used. So far they are treating me great. They took a bit of adjusting but that really goes with any tool. I've been cutting 2" hardened steel and  steel tubing without any trouble. They are not the fastest but they are faster than a hand hack saw and they are cutting square. I let them do their thing while I work on other things. I have added better wheels and have plans to mod the vise. In my opinion they are a good investment.

Cheers for all the advice/feedback folks.

Ian, it didn't sound like you were telling me how to run my life, unfortunately. You can have a go if you'd like but it's a headache probably best avoided :-P

Edited by Joel OF

John, sounds like you're saying you can't walk away from a bandsaw even if it's got an auto-stop?

The other thing I'm keen on is the swivel arm rather than a swivel vice, I think that'll be handy for mitreing the ends of long stock.

​You can walk away if you choose to, but keep an ear out for when the blade jams

and if you don't catch it in time the motor overheats and the thing catches fire,

As for swivelling arms, it can take as long to set up as a swivelling vice, and the structure of the bandsaw is somewhat flimsy 

Have you considered using an chopsaw for mitres or even cut off, the local farriers use these and they are surprisingly good, more info here http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/uk/steel/evosaw180.php

Cheers for all your input folks. I decided to just bite the bullet and get an Axminster swivel bandsaw in the end, even if it does take some setting up. I don't have engineering knowledge yet to get involved with tuning up 2nd hand stuff, and anything has got to be an upgrade from cutting everything with a grinder!

I've got my fingers and toes tightly crossed that I'm moving into a new workshop later this year (in the grounds of a stately home that's open to the public) alongside a green wood craftsman and a furniture restorer so I need a cutting machine that's not really antisocial and noisy, given the that this Axminster machine comes with a warranty and runs quietly I thought I might as well take the plunge. Cheers again.