I Forge Iron

55 gallon drums. What can you make from them?

No pics, they were just burn barrels. It's pretty simple fancy doesn't count. Draw four rectangles around the barrel a few inches off the bottom long dim. up. Cut 3 lines leaving one as a hinge, all oriented the same way and bend the tabs inwards less than 45* +/-. The tabs will deflect the intake air around the drum.

Let me know if that's not clear enough I'll try modeling one with an oatmeal carton or something.

I tried it the first time on a wild hair and it worked really well.

I think what he is saying is to make the cuts on the top, bottom and left, leaving the right side to bend inward like a hinge like a book, all three openings facing the same way. This makes the air flow in one direction before being pulled up into a heat tornado. Ingenious!

Everyone should have an ugly drum smoker (UDS).  At max capacity you can cook about 8 pork shoulders in one these at once for some of the best bbq that you can get.    

Edited by intrex

I used one for a forge chimney, the circumfrence is only a tad smaller than the entire forge hearth. Plan to get a second one since some smoke still blows out the sides. If I used 5 it probably would topple into the neighbours property and they woud get a bit miffed. 

I've got the bottom one full of crusher dust, a smoke shelf in each one and welded together, not anchored down but could be done. A cover from an old welder for a "side hood" (?) to help with the smoke and fire fleas

Edited by turbo7
More details

Everyone should have an ugly drum smoker (UDS).  At max capacity you can cook about 8 pork shoulders in one these at once for some of the best bbq that you can get.    

​I take it that you're no vegetarian then? :D