I Forge Iron

What are these old blacksmith tools?

I only see one thing that looks like it MIGHT be a smithing tool, the second pic from the bottom, could maybe be an anvil stake but I don't think so.

The tong things are two handed and I can't think of a use around the forge for them. The shackles are jjust that shackles, for what I can't say. The last one with the decorative twist might be a wrench but that's just a guess.

Just because something is old and iron doesn't mean it's a blacksmith's tool. Neat things though, I'd sure hang them on a wall.

Frosty The Lucky.

I only see one thing that looks like it MIGHT be a smithing tool, the second pic from the bottom, could maybe be an anvil stake but I don't think so.

The tong things are two handed and I can't think of a use around the forge for them. The shackles are jjust that shackles, for what I can't say. The last one with the decorative twist might be a wrench but that's just a guess.

Just because something is old and iron doesn't mean it's a blacksmith's tool. Neat things though, I'd sure hang them on a wall.

Frosty The Lucky.

​They were hanging in an old blacksmiths forge.... not found just anywhere! So yes, pretty sure they had uses and made by a blacksmith. I wouldnt just assume somthing old and rusty was made by a blacksmith. Sure are cool things Frosty... and all the other items that were left to wrot in that little forge. Amazing how the world regards such things as scrap nowadays

​They were hanging in an old blacksmiths forge.... not found just anywhere! So yes, pretty sure they had uses and made by a blacksmith. I wouldnt just assume somthing old and rusty was made by a blacksmith. Sure are cool things Frosty... and all the other items that were left to wrot in that little forge. Amazing how the world regards such things as scrap nowadays

​I have old forged iron objects I have collected hanging all over my shop. Kind of a blacksmithy thing to do. The Tongs are too short to grasp crucibles, more like canning jars as mentioned. 

The stake could be a stake for any smith, copper, tin silver, etcetera, but not a blacksmith, it is a stake, not a hardy tool. Unfortunately it appears to have weathered badly, but I wouldn't try to fix it, it is worth more as a wall hanger. 

The bracket is a bracket or whatever, the Shadow knows. 

Likely made by blacksmiths, unlikely used by one.

Scale or measurements would help.  So would knowing where in the world they are located.  The tongish things look like either sugar nippers or horse twitches but not expertly made examples of either.  Could be something else.  

Looks like an interesting place, better pictures of the whole place available?  Some items look to be sitting on a poured concrete floor so that narrows down the time frame a little.

Edited by Judson Yaggy

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The tool in the third photograph from the top is not a shoemaker's last. The front section is cut across and not radiused as a standard last is. The distance between the "heel" and the front portion is too great for a normal foot. The tool looks more like an anvil or anvil tool of some sort.

SLAG.

the "Cuffs" in the second picture remind me of something they would bind an animals rear legs for whatever reason. saw something like that somewhere. probably had a second pin chained on at some point. wouldnt be much good on a human with just pins like that. just a guess.

I thought shoe last or shoe anvil on the third one until i looked at it more and dont think the shape is right even if the toe end wasnt round. 

5 hours ago, Bo T said:

They wouldn't work well for hobbles, as they need to be smooth as not to injure the horse. It looks like a piece that might be used to attach a crosspiece to??

Hobbles were not just for horses---cows and goats too.  There is one style which doesn't go completely around the leg but instead sort of pinches the muscles so you just slip them over the muscular part of the back legs:  On and off in a breeze for milking.  You can sort of see a similar thing in the image of this patent  http://www.google.com/patents/US1244628

The extra chain could be to immobilize the tail of a cow.

Not saying that's what they are as the distance between the cuffs seems awfully short to me but they are not so far from pinch hobbles to rule it out.