I Forge Iron

Traveling/ portable anvil stand?

HI guys, 

What style of stand would you use for a portable anvil for use at shows etc? I won't be doing really heavy work on this anvil so I don't need the stand to be quite as heavy duty as my main shop anvil. 

A tripod style steel stand like the one seen here would be the easiest to make:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/28676-anvil-stands/?do=findComment

Though I wonder if something like this wooden stand would "look" better. - I would find this more difficult to manufacture but they look a lot nicer. Which is something I think the general public pick up on.

I'd be using my 100b fisher so I want to make use of the lugs for bolting the anvil down, I want the anvil to be easily removable from the stand so I can take it apart for easier transportation.  

Your opinion would be appreciated 

Cheers

Andy

Well, Ive never traveled around to do shows ....so this may not fit your needs. But I move it all over the shop with the use of a hand truck and it is no problem moving it.

This is obviously not a fisher so it is secured differently but this one is held down by 2     1/2' bolts. I can get it off if i need to in less than a minute with a ratchet and combo wrench

photo_2.thumb.PNG.a21b58fcd08fde50631aa2

Edited by lawman

If this is for a portable set up, then make the wooden stand. When you take the anvil off you can flip it over and use it to carry tongs or shorts of bar stock.

Make the "top" a little wider so its more stable when upside down, couple handles on the sides and it will do double duty when loading up your demo gear.

I could knock out a wood stand like that in an hour or so, a little envious that you'd have an easier time cutting and welding up a steel stand.

I came to smithing from woodworking though. 

If this is for a portable set up, then make the wooden stand. When you take the anvil off you can flip it over and use it to carry tongs or shorts of bar stock.

Make the "top" a little wider so its more stable when upside down, couple handles on the sides and it will do double duty when loading up your demo gear.

I could knock out a wood stand like that in an hour or so, a little envious that you'd have an easier time cutting and welding up a steel stand.

I came to smithing from woodworking though. 

Thanks Michael - it's the little things like that which make throwing the question out there worthwhile. I hadn't thought of flipping the stand over and using it to carry stuff. Something worth considering at the very least. 

My welding and fab work is far from top notch, indeed a year ago it was pretty awful. But practice does indeed make perfect... or at least significantly better. ;) 

Thanks for the input gents much appreciated. 

Andy

If you're wanting to do demos then a little theater is a must. A Fisher is quiet already so that's not an issue, in fact quieting it more with a steel stand is undesirable. You want a little anvil ring at demos, it draws spectators. Also looks count at demos, people expect to see a wooden stand so one that's a little dressy is a good thing. However the clamp system you show in the pics is a little unwieldy for a portable, unclamping the anvil or lifting them as a unit is a factor to consider.

How about a  nice truncated pyramid stand like one of those but with a different restraint system. Say large screws through the Fisher lugs but instead of nuts and washers a pair of nice wedges? Position the stand, set the anvil, tap tap and it's locked in place. Then tap tap and lift it out. The anvil is the heaviest thing to lift AND it's all blacksmitherly in appearance for the show.

Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

I don't mean to open a can of worms about stands adding mass to the anvil and support etc to the works, but I know a gentleman that is a long time member here and a third generation working blacksmith that made a travel stand for a 150# anvil, that was basically like a milking stool. It had 2 x 2 oak legs with a 2 x oak anvil pad. The legs pivoted for travel and he used twisted bailing wire between them for support, with a loop at each end that hooked on a bolt head on each leg. Once the anvil was in place it was rock solid. Very simple and you could lift it with one finger. Anvils stands don't need to weigh a ton or be rigid while unloaded.

Scott

I would definitely go with the wooden stand if you're doing public demonstrations and hoping to drum up business.  As mentioned, you can keep it hollow and it will be very light as well as good for holding stuff in the back of the truck.   But, let's not forget the importance of how you look.

You're dealing with potential customers, and presentation really is everything.  Combining wood and iron is always a winning combination because it just looks right to people.  Putting your anvil on a wood 'stump' looks right to people.  More importantly, this needs to apply to everything in the set up.

When you're in public, everything has to look the part because you're trying to sell the story.  It's the story that gets the customers, not the product.  Sell the image and the tale behind it, because that's what they'll brag to their friends about.

The Devil's in the details - a standard run-of-the-mill leather apron with nylon straps and plastic side-release buckles will protect you from sparks and such, but a leather apron that's obviously custom made and has those little details that tell the world it's custom made.... well, that will resonate with the customer.  They might not be able to explain why they like it, but they know they do.  Same with your tools and the stump.

Were it I, I'd make one of those wooden stands and decorate around the base with flat iron details.  Do some nice scrolls and crosses that will really dress the piece up.  It's good practice for you, and it shows the customers that you can pay attention to details.  Think about how decorative gypsy wagons are compared to the standard conestoga you've seen in the cowboy movies.

If you look around the internet, you'll see a bunch of very simple wooden anvil stumps.  They all look pretty much the same.... but there are the rare few that really stand out because the smith went above and beyond when he built and decorated his stump.

When I was a lot younger, I used to have to go to horticulture trade shows.  At the show there was always one company that dressed in blaze orange.  Their booth was blaze orange.  They pamphlets were blaze orange.  Their business cards were blaze orange.  And the lead dude was quite the showman.  Oddly enough, everybody knew the company and their product.  They had a great reputation in the business and stood out from the herd.  Details matter.

I've seen several pictures of Mexican revalutinary war and us cival war smiths using nail kegs as stands, presumably filled with dirt on site. But a similar idea could be used with a reinforced bottom (top) and as mentioned, turn it over and haul out your tools. If your up for a little cooperage a table saw and a table leg jig will make barel staves in quick order. Tho I must admit that the "bench" looking one  in John's second picture looks very nice as well. A couple of those double threaded lugs ( wood thread on one end and machine thread on the other) and a pair of hand forged thumb screws would look good. 

Of all the smiths in the above photos, which one do you honestly think will be the most memorable for the audience?  I'm betting that everyone will agree it's the gentleman in the fine chapeau.  

Note how he maintains the color scheme throughout all of his kit and all of his kit shows attention to detail.  He's dressed well, keeps a neat operation, and has a sense of style - this is a guy you wouldn't mind doing some work for you.  While all of the other smiths might do masterful work, do they look like they do?  Does their kit look warm and inviting?  Does the whole ensemble create an ambiance that women will find warm and inviting?  Like it or not, women are the major purchasers in western civilization and you need to market to them more than to men.  While we guys are attracted to rust and grease, very few women want that image in their minds when they're looking for some home decor.

The gentleman in the tophat is fun and looks gentlemanly and safe.  This will appeal to women shoppers.

And now we know why I don't do public demos.....  :D

I believe that's a cravat Charles. I wonder how much Glenn would charge to silk screen a nice blouse like that one. A top hat and I went and bought a Derby. I am just sooo out of touch with style. <sigh>

Seriously though, that is an excellent bit of showmanship I'd love to take in a performance. I wouldn't even heckle. Not that I could, neither of my Grandfathers were blacksmiths.

Frosty The Lucky.

For another suggestion.  I once sourced a hollow log to use as a traveling anvil stump---Traditional "stump" for the crowd but a lot lighter to transport.  Band it top and bottom and with an inset piece in the top so it looks "solid... the open base makes it sit more securely on rough ground.

Morning gents. Thanks for the replies, I'm very grateful. 

I really like the look of the stand in John's second pic down. The "Church Window" style. Certainly food for thought. I wish my wood working skills were better. I'll need to make something for my small vice as well. I'd planned on a metal stand for that though maybe it will need to be a wooden stand too. 

Vaughn makes a very sensible point about dressing the stand up. I will be sure to do so. I won't be able to spend any time on this for another ten days or so yet as I'm still offshore. Never the less it should be a fun project once I get going. 

I like the idea of using a hollow stump but I doubt I'd be able to get hold of a stump let alone a hollowed out one any time soon. 

All the best 

Andy

You can secure a stand to the ground using a couple of large auger-blade dog holders and some turnbuckles.  The auger is very easy to sink into the ground and won't pull up easily, so holding a lightweight stand from jumping around shouldn't be a problem at all.  Certainly better than nothing!

Something I just thought of.... screws and glue make for a very secure joint in a wooden stand, but screws look wrong.  So, cover the screws with large-headed nails.  Use more nails than you need, with different sizes of heads, and you can make patterns in the wood much like the indians used to do on their rifles with brass tacks.  

You can buy replica "hand-forged" nails for a pittance, and they come in different sizes, so you don't have to worry about making them - and the customer will never know that you didn't make them....   And you'd end up with something that looks almost like an old bridge or ship that's been riveted together.

Ya know, I've got some old lumber sitting in the barn and an anvil that doesn't have a proper stand......

Frosty, I was talking about the second picture down, the disreputable looking gent with the beard, lol.

My traveling anvil is a 3 leged light affair I stake down wit wire tent pegs. But that is my farriers set up.

honestly it wouldn't take great woodworking skills to build the second stand. The question is what "persona" do you want use? Doesn't have to be a "period" persona, just a respectable one your confertable in. Mine is a a older, but still nice looking jeans, and a hat. A working "cowboy" look.